Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hawaii Decarbonization Settlement 2045
Let it rip punakahakaiferret!

I agree that Hawaii’s seemingly inability or whatever terms you desire to use is so spot on, but California is very strict in its enforcement of the SMOG program. 

A few years ago, a client of mine who owned several “classic” cars from the late 70’s - he had gone on a buying binge back then when all the big old cars were starting to be “downsized.”

As per the California DMV regulations at the time, his cars qualified him to get “Historical Vehicle” license plates. When he applied and got them, he was told he was “exempt” from having to get the annual SMOG test. Until one year when he is told that there was one specific DMV person assigned by the California DMV in Sacramento who handled all Historical Vehicle license plates and took it upon himself to declare that these vehicles were exempt. He then retired. 

So my client, who also had homes in Minnesota and Wisconsin simply reregistered his classic cars in those states which had no inspections whatsoever. 

Two weeks after getting his Minnesota plates on one of his classic cars, he got pulled over. About the only thing they did not do to him was actually arrest him and take him to jail. The California Highway Patrol was able to pull up his total registration records and figured out what he did. And for all his other cars too. 

He was fined in excess of 25,000 dollars. 

He eventually sold off his entire classic car collection.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hawaii Decarbonization Settlement 2045 - by HiloJulie - 07-08-2024, 10:40 PM