Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Important Puna Transportation Meeting
On further reflection regarding the Aug. 8th Transportation Presentation I sent the following letter out to the PCDP primary consultant - John Whalen and the tranportation consultant Wayne Yosioka:

Wayne Yosioka and John Whalen,

I’m not going to beat around the bush. Your work to date is compromised by your failure to address the PMAR issue. Your firm is purported to be a professional transportation consultant yet you completely fail to address the implications of HPP approaching full build out. The suggestions you have made, and failed to make to date, assure that Puna will be facing deadly and chronic traffic problems for at least the next generation.

By viewing the charts at your presentation the statistics you provided show HPP contributes approximately 70% of the peak hour congestion on Hwy. 130. HPP is approximately 20% built out today and is rapidly growing. Without an alternative route to provide HPP residents an alternative to Hwy. 130 through and from HPP all of your “short term solutions” will be overcome before they are completed. The result of your lack of vision will be constant construction, modifying, amending, lane adding and danger on Hwy. 130. The two lane will build to a four lane which will build to a six lane and at least two things will occur.

Nonstop traffic woes just like every other location served by such planning vision and Puna will irrevocably be changed from the rural district the PCDP input wants to maintain.

The 20 plus years of nonstop construction might serve the construction industry just fine. It will not serve the residents of Puna very well.

At least three PMAR proposals have been put forth in the PCDP process. James Weatherford’s, David Fukumoto’s and mine. You have made no mention of any of them to date. I want to see your analysis, charted positive and negative attributes, of each of these proposals. If your firm is creative enough to bring forth a fourth proposal then, by all means, do so. Do read the PCDP Transportation report and respond to it.

You may not enjoy this note but I am a resident of this district and you are not. I and my neighbors have to live or die with the results of this process and you do not.

Rob Tucker
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator

Messages In This Thread
RE: Important Puna Transportation Meeting - by Rob Tucker - 08-10-2007, 12:02 PM