Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Story
I first went to the BI in 1997 at age 26 and began to dream about living there. I visited again in 01 and 03 and bought my lot in Seaview when things came together with a vacation payout and a big tax refund. At that point I was thinking I was buying it for retirement in 20-30 years. After visiting and seeing the lot in 05, meeting people in the nieghborhood and other Puna residents, my then partner and I began to seriously consider moving there last year. With my relationship ending a year ago, suddenly I had to figure out what to do with the rest of my life. Moving to the BI seemed further away, but as my job became more boring, and my need to be where my heart was telling me to go grew, I began pursuing the move in earnest earlier this year. Since my ex bought me out of our home we owned together, I had the means to try to build a home and will be able to get by earning much less than I do now.

So many things draw me there. I think the biggest is just how happy I am spending time in nature. Even driving there is a joy compared to the Bay Area. The slower pace of life, the lack of concrete, filth, and having to fear getting mugged all the time, not having allergies 6 months a year like I do in Oakland, never having to be cold, being able to see the ocean all the time, fresh air, Pele, a'a fields and their smell, primarily hearing sounds of nature instead of engines, sirens, and other sounds of the city---all these things have drawn me there. There is also a greater openness in people I meet there, and a friendliness from strangers and people working in stores that it unheard of in the Bay Area. So I'm packing my bags and making the move in January and cannot wait for my new life!

Messages In This Thread
Your Story - by lotus - 09-02-2007, 10:29 PM
RE: Your Story - by Carey - 09-03-2007, 02:37 AM
RE: Your Story - by David M - 09-03-2007, 04:24 PM
RE: Your Story - by Beachboy - 09-04-2007, 03:02 AM
RE: Your Story - by Hotzcatz - 09-04-2007, 06:32 AM
RE: Your Story - by Ed Smay - 09-05-2007, 06:10 AM
RE: Your Story - by jdirgo - 09-05-2007, 07:17 AM
RE: Your Story - by John S. Rabi - 09-05-2007, 10:02 AM
RE: Your Story - by robguz - 09-07-2007, 05:44 AM