Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need a quick education
Aloha Pam,

There might be plenty of other views but to me the basic issue of this election is whether Hilo's dominance of the island politics is about to end or not. As most everyone knows there has been a long history of zero or spot planning in the districts and a pooling of resources and infrastructure in Hilo.

On the Mayoral side I believe Angel Pilago represents the force of community versus the old boy network. He has been very supportive of community planning and, most recently, voted forth a bill to allow a referendum on the issue of police priorities and marijuana. I think it speaks loudly that Angel and four other council members trust the people enough to allow them to decide the issue. So for this and several reasons I support Angel. Angel Pilago's positions and arguments are consistently morally based and in the best interest of the broadest number of people.

Also running for Mayor is Billy Kenoi. Billy is an East Side favorite son but has been dogged by heavy donations from Oahu and an incident in a bar in 2004 which doesn't bode well. Billy is extremely likable but seems to me to be part of the old boy network. He is a lawyer and has a troubled youth / up from his bootstraps history. Former assistant to Mayor Harry Kim. The Hilo lawyer guild are betting on Billy.

On the Council District 5 race Emily Naeole is facing heavy competition. She has been involved in a series of losing council efforts which have had her voting in block with Hilo. Power bases are shifting. Hilo is now losing. Emily has also been embarrassed by a continuing series of ethical complaints illustrating her general lack of respect for anyone who does not agree with her. Two strong candidates for her office are Kale Gumapac, a Hawaiian activist who I support and can bring back respect for Hawaiians in government. Also running is Wayne Joseph, a former teacher and ethics commissioner who would likely do well in office. I prefer Kale over Wayne because of the different manner in which they understand and embrace issues. On the marijuana/police referendum for example Wayne Joseph says he would have voted against it. He seemed unclear on the concept of letting the people decide and seems to think the council vote was in favor of marijuana.... it wasn't - it was about letting the people decide. The distinctions matter.

State House District 4 has Emily's cousin, Faye Hanohano, getting challenged across the board by two dems and one repub. Faye has been our "hermit House rep". Rarely seen and more rarely heard from she has developed zero footprint in the job. I saw her last night at a forum and (considering I go to LOTS of meetings over the years) it was actually only the second time I have ever seen her face.

Fred Blas, a republican retired businessman, is a hands on, can do guy with lots of local cred. Fred is a pistol but is old school in the sense he likely has a typewriter at home instead of a computer. That might be an exaggeration but internet and email are new to him. By contrast there is a bright eyed 23 year old named Anthony Marzi. Anthony is a locally raised whiz kid who has some impressive experience and tech savvy for his age. Youth and savvy and energy may put him in office. Also running is Steve Sparks. Steve is a bearded Santa of good nature and keen perception. At this point in the race I think that Anthony Marzi is gaining serious momentum but all three challengers would serve Puna better than Hanahano has.

There is an 'old school' of politics here that is beginning to crumble. The Good Old Boys and "waiting your turn" are getting pushed aside by community activism. In the plantation days people here largely voted how they were told or lost their jobs. That is being replaced, we hope, this election year.

That's my summary. Hope it helps. Now all those who think I just blew it and disparaged their favorite candidate please feel free to give your views....

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator

Messages In This Thread
need a quick education - by pslamont - 08-24-2008, 08:49 PM
RE: need a quick education - by Rob Tucker - 08-25-2008, 02:34 AM
RE: need a quick education - by james weatherford - 08-25-2008, 03:37 AM
RE: need a quick education - by Rob Tucker - 08-25-2008, 05:25 AM
RE: need a quick education - by JerryCarr - 08-25-2008, 06:25 AM
RE: need a quick education - by Kapohocat - 08-25-2008, 07:45 AM
RE: need a quick education - by james weatherford - 08-25-2008, 08:50 AM
RE: need a quick education - by Rob Tucker - 08-25-2008, 08:56 AM