Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a message here?
Thanks for your post Cynthia, Well put.

My interests are similar. I have made my choice for mayor though and am working for his election. It's an uphill battle but with the field narrowed to two we are all optimistic.

I am not a long term follower of anyone. This is my first experience in electioneering. Not an expert.

Part of what influences me is how these two candidates came to my attention in the first place.

I first noticed Angel Pilago as a council member. I was impressed that we actually had council members that were capable of looking outside their districts and thinking of the island as a whole. That was how I first learned Angel Pilago's name. I was frustrated that other district representatives were doing a better job of looking out for Puna than our own was. Since then I have learned more about Angel and have had opportunity to speak with him and understand that he operates from a moral center and has the best interests of his island at heart. He is prepared to lead the Big Island in a new direction which values community more than personal profit.

I first learned Billy Kenoi's name when he filed as a candidate for Mayor. Billy who? He was Mayor Kim's assistant for the past several years? I've never seen his face at any meetings or events in Puna before? I met him. I found him to be a warm and likable guy. I was told he had been put in charge of coqui eradication (really?). I was told he had been in charge of ICE eradication (really?). I went to his events. He said really nice things with enthusiasm. But I wasn't clear on what was said. Then I look at the massive campaign contributions and saw off island lawyers, lawyers, lawyers. Big money contractors. Big (very big) landowners from Oahu and from here and I got concerned.

So I have chosen the present underdog. I will not expect him to be perfect in everyone's eyes. I do expect him to take on the ways of doing business in Hawaii that serves the few and I expect him to serve the many. I know he is smart enough and experienced enough to do good work. I trust him.

If you want to learn more or get closer to the election contact me by clicking on my name. There are many meetings and get togethers coming up.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator

Messages In This Thread
Is there a message here? - by JerryCarr - 09-21-2008, 05:13 AM
RE: Is there a message here? - by Dave Smith - 09-23-2008, 08:39 AM
RE: Is there a message here? - by Rob Tucker - 09-23-2008, 09:17 AM
RE: Is there a message here? - by hikatz - 09-23-2008, 09:20 AM
RE: Is there a message here? - by Dave Smith - 09-23-2008, 10:47 AM
RE: Is there a message here? - by Rob Tucker - 09-23-2008, 11:14 AM
RE: Is there a message here? - by cynmkolohe - 09-23-2008, 01:20 PM
RE: Is there a message here? - by Rob Tucker - 09-23-2008, 02:20 PM
RE: Is there a message here? - by loffelkopffl - 09-24-2008, 02:46 AM