Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs and Stinging nettle caterpillars
quote:
Originally posted by Mitzi M

Hi Yurt girl,

Poor poochie - sounds more to me like ringworm - a fungus that itches like the devil and can spread to people - that or else fur mites. Here's a way to tell if it's ringworm or other fungus. If you put a black light up to it in the dark the fungus will glow noticeably - kinda cool.

If that's the case you can try iodine - some say tea tree but I dunno - or the old standby, burnt motor oil. That's right, some grimey black from the last oil change will do it. Just keep the affected skin coated as best you can for a few days until it looks better. Hopefully the new environment will solve most of the problem.

I've never heard of dogs getting stung by the nettle caterpillar before. I would think the spines wouldn't make it past the fur right away - but I guess it's possible.

Hi Mitzi,
My first thought was ringworm too, but it wasn't that, though he did get treated for it for about 3 months and other fungus' as well. [V] The other animals never got it, neither of us humans ever got it... His coat is very short and those spines could have easily gotten through. Also, with a fungus it wouldn't have gone away so quickly even after the move. I'm fairly certain it was the caterpillars, it's the leading (almost only) variable. Other than no Coqui's here yet(keeping fingers crossed), the fact that it's a little cooler here and there's way less guaivi and palms.
Melissa Fletcher

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dogs and Stinging nettle caterpillars - by YurtGirl - 10-07-2008, 04:01 AM