Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punaweb Cookbook: sharing favorite recipes
Barbecued Opihi with Spicy-Sweet Soy Citrus Marinade

Recipe by John Cox for his article in the summer 2008 issue of Edible Hawaiian Islands

Note from Devany: Opihi are an indigenous shell fish. To me they taste and have texture of a combination of abalone and cockles. I agree with John’s method of removing the liver and organs. We had these on the half shell and also grilled with a coconut and pineapple marinade when we were on the Kona side 2 weeks ago and they were awesome.

FYI: Shoyu is a soy sauce, which is a dark brown liquid made from soya beans that have undergone a fermentation process. Natural shoyu employs the use of a centuries-old method of fermentation involving a special koji (Aspergillus oryzae), which converts hard-to-digest soy proteins, starches and fats into easily absorbed amino acids, simple sugars and fatty acids..

If you do not live on the islands you could use tender clams or even mussels for this recipe, but nothing will quite compare to the Opihi, I promise it is worth a trip!

Barbecued Opihi with Spicy-Sweet Soy Citrus Marinade

Another important indigenous food, Opihi, was likely one of the most commonly eaten shell fish in ancient Hawaii. While traditionally enjoyed in it’s entirety , I prefer to remove the liver and other organs, leaving just the clean shucked mussel. This extra step makes the Opihi much more palatable like a young abalone. Again, be respectful of local tradition before attempting to harvest Opihi on your own. Many experienced harvesters have been washed from the rocks by rogue waves in pursuit of these tasty morsels.

20 fresh harvested Opihi (about the size of a half dollar)
4 Cups Aloha Shoyu
2 Cups Brown Sugar
4-5 Tablespoons Siracha chile
1 Kaffir Lime leaf
1 small knob of ginger, crushed
4 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 Tablespoons chopped mint
2 Tablespoons lime juice
4 Tablespoons fresh orange juice

Remove the Opihi from their shells. Using a sharp knife, remove the liver and other organs. Discard the organs.

Clean the shells with a wire brush, removing as much seaweed and dirt as possible.

Return the cleaned Opihi to their shells.

Put the Shoyu and brown sugar in a 2 quart saucepan with the sriacha, lime leave and ginger, reduce by half until large bubbles start to form.

Cool this mixture and spoon over each Opihi.

Put the Opihi with sauce in the refrigerator and allow to marinate for one hour.

Place the Opihi, shell side down on a wood fired grill. Cook just until the marinade starts to bubble, then removed and eat like an oyster.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Punaweb Cookbook: sharing favorite recipes - by Devany - 12-08-2008, 10:31 AM
RE: Punaweb Cookbook: sharing favorite recipes - by Guest - 08-17-2010, 04:15 AM
RE: Punaweb Cookbook: sharing favorite recipes - by Guest - 08-17-2010, 04:18 AM
RE: Punaweb Cookbook: sharing favorite recipes - by Guest - 08-17-2010, 04:21 AM
RE: Punaweb Cookbook: sharing favorite recipes - by Guest - 08-17-2010, 04:24 AM
RE: Punaweb Cookbook: sharing favorite recipes - by Guest - 08-17-2010, 04:27 AM
RE: Punaweb Cookbook: sharing favorite recipes - by Guest - 08-17-2010, 04:37 AM