Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punaweb Cookbook: sharing favorite recipes
Butterfish Misoyaki Style

This dish was born in Japan and by “adoption” it has become an island favorite. Butterfish describes the preparation, not the kind of fish. In Hawaii, Butterfish is often black cod or sable fish. Our local Whole Foods always has lovely black cod. In Hawaii we bought sable fish. In both cases this is so delicious that I rarely make fish any other way now. You should ask for filets from a fish size 7 or larger. Have the fish scaled before cooking. The marinade can be made up to a week in advance.

Ingredients:

6 black cod filets, skin intact

For miso marinade:

1/3 cup sake
1/3 cup mirin
½ cup raw sugar
1 cup of fresh white miso
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
2 stalks lemon grass bruised
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 Tablespoons finely grated ginger
Zest of one orange or tangerine

Method:
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add mirin, & sake. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes to cook out the alcohol. Ad d sugar and whisk in. Then add miso and heat for 2-3 minutes till sugar is dissolved (raw sugar takes a little longer to dissolve). Add soy sauce and remove from heat. Cool and store in refrigerator till ready for use.

24 to 48 hours before serving, place the fish in marinade. Marinade for 24-48 hours. I usually do it 24 hours.

Preheat oven (I use a convection oven) to 400. Line a sheet with aluminum foil and place the fish skin side down on the foil. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until fish cooks golden brown. To be sure of doneness, feel for the bones down the center of the filet, they will release easily once the fish is cooked. You can heat and serve the marinade as additional sauce.

When removing the fish from the pan, slide the spatula under the skin and the skin will stick to the foil. I like to serve this over sautéed sesame spinach and I top with some slivers of preserved ginger or toasted coconut.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Punaweb Cookbook: sharing favorite recipes - by Devany - 12-15-2008, 10:56 PM
RE: Punaweb Cookbook: sharing favorite recipes - by Guest - 08-17-2010, 04:15 AM
RE: Punaweb Cookbook: sharing favorite recipes - by Guest - 08-17-2010, 04:18 AM
RE: Punaweb Cookbook: sharing favorite recipes - by Guest - 08-17-2010, 04:21 AM
RE: Punaweb Cookbook: sharing favorite recipes - by Guest - 08-17-2010, 04:24 AM
RE: Punaweb Cookbook: sharing favorite recipes - by Guest - 08-17-2010, 04:27 AM
RE: Punaweb Cookbook: sharing favorite recipes - by Guest - 08-17-2010, 04:37 AM