Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
centepede bite - helpful advice needed
I guess it's kind of late now ...
but here's what the ER did for me (I had an allergic reaction, hives all over my body).

Double dose of oral benadryl. Was told to take benadryl immediately if bitten.
Two doses of prednisone ... by prescription.

What I did:
Immediately slapped "drawing ointment" on it as I had a tube.

Clay, drawing salve, activated charcoal, are all remedies that help extract the toxins through the skin. Draw out Salve is cheap and sold at Longs. When you do a poultice, it works better if you cover it with gauze.

Plantain is a great poultice herb
here's and article on its work on stings

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0..._111696760

I'm not big on pulling up weeds from the yard that may or may not be what I think they are ...

Gaia makes a Plantain Goldenseal salve that I recommend highly for drawing out toxins; they sell it at Island Naturals and probably other places. (don't shop in Pahoa).

Centipede is a "dirty bite" and I was told by the doctor about half of them get infected. The flesh can get necrotic. Mine didn't. Either I was lucky or applying the drawing out stuff, clay, etc. continually helped.

Mine ached for a few hours, but the benadryl helped me nap through some of it.

The area of the bite continued to be reactive for SIX MONTHS. I had these two fang marks on my upper arm that were red and very visible. A year later, it is gone.

Watch the bite carefully and go get antibiotics if there's any sign of infection.
The ER wanted to start me on antibiotics right away, but I chose to wait and see.

Oh, I almost forgot, you can get TETANUS from centipede bites, so if you aren't up to date go get a booster TODAY. They didn't do it at the ER, so I had to take care of it. Safeway pharmacy will give you a tetanus shot at any time, no need to pay to go to a clinic.

Feel better!

Messages In This Thread
RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - by Guest - 01-13-2009, 05:47 PM
RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - by missydog1 - 01-14-2009, 08:21 AM
RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - by missydog1 - 01-14-2009, 08:29 AM
RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - by missydog1 - 01-14-2009, 10:53 AM
RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - by missydog1 - 01-14-2009, 02:13 PM
RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - by Guest - 01-14-2009, 03:03 PM
RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - by Guest - 01-14-2009, 03:05 PM
RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - by missydog1 - 01-14-2009, 07:38 PM
RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - by missydog1 - 01-15-2009, 07:16 AM
RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - by missydog1 - 01-15-2009, 08:36 AM
RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - by missydog1 - 01-15-2009, 07:10 PM
RE: centepede bite - helpful advice needed - by Guest - 01-20-2009, 07:35 PM