Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kaiser turned us down - need broker maybe?
The basic HIPPA HSMA option for both of us is $526 per month and the high option is $1,060 per month. Neither includes dental or prescriptions. The basic option has a $500 per person annual deductible versus $300 per year for the high option. Also the basic option covers only 70% of surgery and hospital costs, while the high option covers 80% of surgery expense and 90% of hospital charges. We have to wait until Cobra expires and then we have 30 days to do the conversion, which is retroactive to the end of the Cobra period.

Kaiser's HIPAA medical and drug coverage under their gold plan for $747 per month; lab/x-rays are covered at 50% and hospital costs are $250 per day – max of five doctor visits per year. Their silver plan for $840 per month provides medical, drug coverage and vision care (also chiropractors and acupuncture); lab/x-rays are covered at 50% and hospital costs are $200 per day – max of five doctor visits per year.

Comparing apples to apples is not easy because these policies are crap compared to their standard plans. Kaiser is an HMO, so you have very little choice in where you go for care.

Keep in mimd that a simple test like a colonoscopy can cost $3500 and up, A CT scan is around $1500 for a basic scan.

quote:
Originally posted by DTisme

Thanks all for your help - we'll know more how to handle this once we get their letter w/the specifics in it. I didn't know we even had the 63 days from end of COBRA - that at least makes me feel a little better. How much more is the HIPAA plan than the regular Kaiser plan I wonder. Wyatt, did you end up with that one when you got covered? Is it much more expensive? We're paying like $1300 now a month for the both of us thru COBRA (PPO) - which is crazy. We were looking forward to saving some money. Maybe that wont' happen now. Getting old sucks.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kaiser turned us down - need broker maybe? - by Devany - 09-16-2009, 07:13 AM