Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
County Prohibition on Indonesian Lumber?
Carey,
I omitted a great deal of the e-mail from my post.
I'm not going to include the name of the company (it’s foreign); however, their products have been featured in architectural magazines and have already provided products on the Big Island from entire homes, windows, doors, furniture, etc. They currently provide their products on every other Island in the state of Hawaii except one because they have been barred from doing so, the CoH. According to them; the CoH head of public works has placed a ban on their lumber products because he claims they do not conform to the lumber regulations even though they far exceed the state and county regulations and have been tested by the USFD and by the University of Hawaii (and many countries) with 0 mass loss during termite exposure and other wood borers. They are lumbers that are at the top of class with regard to borer insects and fungi resistances needing no treatments.
It’s not a matter of foreign deforestation or any other matter as those matters are addressed at State and Federal levels… not county.
No… this is a matter pure and simple of baring this company from doing business in the county because they are far too competitive for local companies to contend with.

The lumbers are legal for use in the U.S. as well as the state of Hawaii and many other nations.

The lumbers used in their products are Merbau, Ulin and Bangkirai.

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.

Messages In This Thread
RE: County Prohibition on Indonesian Lumber? - by Wao nahele kane - 01-09-2010, 08:01 PM