Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
County Prohibition on Indonesian Lumber?
It is my opinion that the CoH Building Department is not your problem.

What is occurring in general is a new ICC code coming into place. That code, at least very specific parts of it, were likely written under the heavy influence of big lumber interests for whom new stricter code requirements are a way to reduce and minimize the competition. They are very, very good at this. The CoH is not very, very good at much of anything frankly.

One of my personal frustrations was trying to sell a plywood substitute for use in California schools. The material was fireproof, termite proof, no toxic glue out gassing and the modular classroom manufacturers wanted it. It just needed the blessing of the CA state architect. Leaving Sacramento I had learned that cyclic shear testing would be required for our product. Was cyclic shear testing required of plywood? No. Was there a defined acceptable test standard for cyclic shear testing? No.

Meanwhile my products are acceptable in Hawaii.

So our lumber industry competitors hold the market while a new entry was held to standards that don't yet exist.

I understand your frustration.

The building industry is increasingly under corporate control and that means less choice for us and more profit for them. For your hardwoods to be accepted either your suppliers pony up the cash for certification (prices go up) or you find a sympathetic local engineer to stamp your lumber. The last code (I haven't yet reviewed the ICC for this) contained language to the effect that: "Nothing in this code shall be construed to disallow alternative methods or materials". That statement meant that the local building departments could still allow alternatives if they chose to. That is where a local engineer arguing your case at the building department might have sway.... on a case by case basis. Costly and time consuming for you.

The ICC may or may not disallow the local use of Ohia posts which were okay under the most recent code I quoted. Local architect or engineer would approve the use of that ungraded species of wood.

Never mind. Best wishes.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator

Messages In This Thread
RE: County Prohibition on Indonesian Lumber? - by Rob Tucker - 01-10-2010, 09:43 AM