Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii."
(07-19-2023, 08:24 AM)kalianna Wrote: So to what do you attribute the calm along our coast?  Max wind here (mid-HPP) has been 26 mph.

I can't answer that because I don't have the data to form an opinion. The main part of the storm is still not at its closest approach, so that may be part of it and TS-strength winds only stretch out so far from the center of the storm. Iselle was a bit like this as well during the evening - utterly calm. The devastating winds came later on. I'm not saying this will happen again as the storms have different tracks and strengths; Iselle was on a more northern track, but personally, I'm hoping it stays this way.
Yes, HJ, go delete, HIS words for you C ontributerz ..

10:36 here, rain abate ..lets see what she brings next.

God bless ..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ijVijP-CDVI
Ka'u currently seems to be getting hit hard with rain and possibly high winds. Fortunately, it seems Calvin kept on its recently forecasted track and the storm center remained well offshore to the south so Puna remains reasonably unaffected. There's still convection east of the island so there's rain to come, but think the wind threat is over for Puna.
(07-19-2023, 08:24 AM)kalianna Wrote: So to what do you attribute the calm along our coast?  Max wind here (mid-HPP) has been 26 mph.

He can't answer that 'cause he aint got enough data? Yeah right, it's 'cause he's been bamboozling anyone that's willing to buy the snake oil he pedals.. and he don't have that kine snakes. And he keeps telling you all the frickin' islands don't mean a thing to a hurricane.. a 14,000 foot wall don't mean a thing.. a wall? Wind shear.. yeah, sure, he can grok that 'cause that's a term the real scientists throw around. But a solid, immovable, relatively impermeable, land mass? Nah... according to our in-house "scientist" that kine stuff don't matter..

But no.. he doesn't have enough gray matter between his ears to figure out the islands bust 'em up. Gee, a monkey can see that! Just look at the pretty pictures.. the satellite images. Look at the last 12 hours of the storm.. the islands have demolished the cloud structure.. the islands that caused them to be funneled every which way and created relatively calmer inshore areas as they built up against the land masses..

But no matter that TomK he's one smart buggah..
Tropical Storm Calvin Discussion Number 32
NWS Central Pacific Hurricane Center Honolulu HI EP032023
500 AM HST Wed Jul 19 2023

"Deep convection around Calvin collapsed overnight, leaving residual
deep convection across east and southeast-facing shores and
slopes of the Big Island and Maui. This is the result of deep
tropical flow interacting with terrain..."
About 1.5" of rain and mild winds here. If there was no storm forecast hype, I would have thought just another day in Puna.
This is the result of deep tropical flow interacting with terrain..

Years ago I had a friend who was a meteorologist with the Dutch Navy.  Sitting on the beach one day he pointed at clouds heading toward shore and explained how the island (land) begins to affect the weather, the formation of clouds, several miles away from land.  The air begins to rise even before the elevation of the land increases.  This cools, condenses moisture in the air.

The key word is affect.
Not protect.
I noticed the moisture of this storm sat way north of the center or what was left of the eye and appeared nowhere else on the map.  And while Calvin passed south of our island by what, 20 miles(?), we did get the rain but little to no wind in Kurtistown.  

I've never noticed that before with the clouds all north of the vortex.  Is that different from the norm?   Is there a normal?
North of the center was supposed to get most of the wind, I remember the Puna weatherman mentioned this a couple times. The storm tracked further south than it was forecast to, fortunately for us.
This sure feels like New Orleans style humidity this morning!