Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Question for Rob on current PunaWeb hopes & expectations
what's the point

My understanding of a book dedication is that it’s a paragraph, or two that someone writes about the book in hand, or the author of that book.  Short and sweet. Our discussion about MyManao’s dedication had become anything but short and sweet, so I thought I’d lob in two minutes of harmonic heaven that’s gone from the charts, but not from our hearts.  Change up the mood.

I don’t know what secrets we can expect to discover from a simple book dedication, but with all of the discussion and effort put into extracting and revealing MyManao’s words I just thought some of us had a different definition of “dedication” than I did.  

I assume it’s something like this:

Great book on the subject matter!
Author is a wonderful writer!
Ah, sounds like a bit of a misunderstanding perhaps. Typically a book dedication is written by the author as an expression of connection or gratitude towards someone. In this case, it's a small but poignant paragraph dedicating the book to some specific individuals and some larger groups. Does it have the meaning of life, no, but it's there and says what it says.

HiloJulie - Have YOU read his books? And if so, do YOU know about this so called “dedication” as he claims he wrote?
As you've already said that you won't take my word, why would I bother to tell you anything? If you want to know the truth of this matter Mrs. "we live in America and I will post here and there and everywhere I desire" you'll just have to pull yourself up by the bootstraps of your over-sized floppy shoes, throw on your wig and makeup, and go find yourself a copy. I'll keep an ear out for the faint sound of honking when you go by...
(08-03-2024, 01:46 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: My understanding of a book dedication is that it’s a paragraph, or two that someone writes about the book in hand, or the author of that book..

I was compelled to write something like that in my second book. The editor called it a Forward. Whereas in all books, pretty much every book I have, there's some sort of short and sweet, I dedicate this book to.. my goldfish, hamster?

And yeah, a phenomenal amount of words have been uttered here on the matter.. sheesh..
Near the painted church
The clowns hide their bats and books
Dedications lost
I wish you all the best.
a bit of a misunderstanding perhaps.

Ah, that’s right!  Thanks for the correction.
Dedication
Forward
Acknowledgments
Blurb

I was mistakenly thinking blurb, on the back cover.  
(08-03-2024, 02:34 AM)ironyak Wrote: HiloJulie - Have YOU read his books? And if so, do YOU know about this so called “dedication” as he claims he wrote?
As you've already said that you won't take my word, why would I bother to tell you anything? If you want to know the truth of this matter Mrs. "we live in America and I will post here and there and everywhere I desire" you'll just have to pull yourself up by the bootstraps of your over-sized floppy shoes, throw on your wig and makeup, and go find yourself a copy. I'll keep an ear out for the faint sound of honking when you go by...

Well, here we go again!

Can't muster up anything worthwhile to say, so now I'm a bootstrapped, wig, oversized floppy shoe and make-up wearing woman! - I'm a bit surprised you didn't use a few of MyMano's famous misogynistic terms there!

As for finding myself a copy, well I think I paid around 75 cents each for the 3 books I already have read by the author in question - which after reading them felt kind of ripped off. I think I had them less than a few weeks before back they went to the reuse center. And that was over 10 years ago. The pictures were nice that much I'll say, but I would not even consider going searching for another copy even in my plug-in hybrid vehicle charged on my solar provided electric system and driving it to a place on pure battery power looking for one! But I for sure will honk my horn excessively!

And you're right about being an American. Just as you are. Equal in every sense of the word.

But somehow, I have a feeling that people like you and MyMano, think you're way more equal than others!
(08-03-2024, 02:35 AM)MyManao Wrote:
(08-03-2024, 01:46 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: My understanding of a book dedication is that it’s a paragraph, or two that someone writes about the book in hand, or the author of that book..

I was compelled to write something like that in my second book. The editor called it a Forward. Whereas in all books, pretty much every book I have, there's some sort of short and sweet, I dedicate this book to.. my goldfish, hamster?

And yeah, a phenomenal amount of words have been uttered here on the matter.. sheesh..

So you've authored two books? What are they called, and what are the ISBNs?

By the way, a foreword (note spelling) in a book is something written by someone else, i.e., not the author. The bit you are talking about is a dedication written by the author as an acknowledgment to all that helped them. As an author of two books, I would assume you know this. It suggests to me that your second book wasn't yours and was written by someone else. And we still don't know anything about your first book, which you claim is yours, i.e., authored.

Frankly, I think you are claiming authorship of two books you didn't write. Thinking "forward" = "foreword" just confirms it. Words matter, and if you claim to be a writer, they matter more.

(08-03-2024, 01:46 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: what's the point

My understanding of a book dedication is that it’s a paragraph, or two that someone writes about the book in hand, or the author of that book.  Short and sweet. Our discussion about MyManao’s dedication had become anything but short and sweet, so I thought I’d lob in two minutes of harmonic heaven that’s gone from the charts, but not from our hearts.  Change up the mood.

I don’t know what secrets we can expect to discover from a simple book dedication, but with all of the discussion and effort put into extracting and revealing MyManao’s words I just thought some of us had a different definition of “dedication” than I did.  

I assume it’s something like this:

Great book on the subject matter!
Author is a wonderful writer!

I think we share the same opinion. MyManao does not know what he is talking about. The dedication is from the author; the foreword is from someone else.

I don't want to go after anyone in particular, but if someone is as dishonest as MyManao seems to be, plus his attacks on women in general, it needs calling out. He accuses and demeans others of not being the professionals they are, yet can't back up his own claims of being an author.
(08-03-2024, 02:34 AM)ironyak Wrote: Ah, sounds like a bit of a misunderstanding perhaps. Typically a book dedication is written by the author as an expression of connection or gratitude towards someone. In this case, it's a small but poignant paragraph dedicating the book to some specific individuals and some larger groups. Does it have the meaning of life, no, but it's there and says what it says.

HiloJulie - Have YOU read his books? And if so, do YOU know about this so called “dedication” as he claims he wrote?

Just post the book title; you already know what it is. Why will no one do this? It also seems there's a second book, yet no one knows anything about it.

Why can't people just be honest?

(08-01-2024, 06:15 PM)ironyak Wrote: randomq -
TomK - ironyak says I know the book, but I don't know if I do.
Keep playing dumb Tom, you're a natural.

Show everyone I'm dumb by posting the name of the book and its ISBN. Now that we've been told there's a second book, do the same for that. How can you possibly argue against doing this other than resorting to childish arguments? If the books exist, they have ISBNs and titles, so post them.
[sound of crickets]
(08-03-2024, 03:11 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: a bit of a misunderstanding perhaps.

Ah, that’s right!  Thanks for the correction.
Dedication
Forward
Acknowledgments
Blurb

I was mistakenly thinking blurb, on the back cover.  

That looks good. As you state, the blurb is usually seen on the back cover; normally, it includes many quotes from book critics who say this is the best book they've ever read. However, since the author of two books is unwilling to tell us which books he wrote, the blurb is moot.

It's a foreword BTW, not a forward.