Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
Seems to me the most serious opposition to the TMT is the incompetence of the state.
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

Nope Chunkster it isn't a poll or a survey. but to hang one's hat on that one survey, with a sampling of 613 people is a bunch of BS (Obie's term) as much as anything is. For reals, that pro-TMT petition got state wide TV grade publicity and only came up with so many signers. So say all you guys want, split all the hairs, though in the end you're lying to yourselves if you don't recognize that there is some real, and serious, opposition to the project. But hey that's what people do here (PW) is prop up their beliefs to the exclusion of all others and think their version of right is the only one possible.

In all fairness you should compare poll results from the same source.
Here is one anti poll from the same source:

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/aole-tmt.html?amp;q.sl=1&q.id=w7erjdk840q0whno&q.sl=1

And another :

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/h%C5%8D%CA%BBole-tmt-we-oppose-tmt.html?amp;q.sl=2&q.id=e09kzp0h9z1y44na&q.sl=2
If the state knew the Hawaii Supreme Court was gonna rule as they did, any of their inactions make sense. I guess the HSC is part of the state, though, so I guess you're right...
Kirt, I'm thinking BLNR and DLNR rather than the courts.
Fair enough. I thought you meant the governor and mayor...
Well, I certainly don't think this has been Ige's greatest achievement either...
hope you read that ... Such B.S. hypocrisy + one Obie.
A couple of quotes from native Hawaiian astronomers via The Maui News:

"If the project dies [the TMT], not only will that be bad for Hawaii astronomy, but for any high-tech industry considering Hawaii, said Paul Coleman, an astrophysicist at the University of Hawaii's Institute for Astronomy.

"If it's not possible to get around this, then it really kind of shines a bad light on Hawaii," he said. "This will be a global disappointment. I would think it would be very hard for a new project to come here, ever."
"

""I still think the project is a good project and there's a way we can move forward balancing cultural aspects as well as scientific advancement," said Heather Kaluna, who is the first Native Hawaiian to earn a doctorate in astronomy from the University of Hawaii."

http://goo.gl/ugmkma
Yeah, like TMT has had such good lawyers. The pulling of the permit was due to TMT not completing their community hearings, prior to the permit being issued. This was a legal loophole and Aloha Aina lawyers found it, 7 years old, and successfully presented during the time this thread started.

It's more of a headache for UHH than anybody else. Their enrollment is going down, for all the telescopes were supposed to bring to this island, UHH only has a BS in astronomy. The employment opportunities line was used in the 60's to get the first observatory shoe horned in. Trying to use the same line over 50 years later, with no results to support it, wasn't a real good strategy.

The unavoidable truth is the astronomy community has done a real good job of distancing themselves from locals, and the observatory employment is almost totally imported visitors, resulting in a lot of malihini meltdowns, for one reason or another.

Bottom line is there is going to be the final public hearing before applying for the permit again. That whole process will probably take at least two years, considering next year is an election year. The ball is back in TMT's court. They really ought to rethink the local jobs/education line because people aren't buying that anymore.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Despite holding himself back for a while, PT once again wrote:

"[...] resulting in a lot of malihini meltdowns [...]"

Someone needs to start a drinking game.