Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
TMT construction begins Monday 15 July
I don't think the sentence you are referencing says anything like, "that the telescopes were contributors to air and ocean pollution".  

One of the most repeated claims of The Protectors was that the TMT and observatories pollute the Mauna Kea water table.  Google it, you'll find as many listings as there are stars in the sky.  That claim has been reputably, scientifically, culturally, and common sensically disproven.  The greatest recent cause of pollution to the Mauna Kea water table has been the cars, trucks, shelters, and waste from the protestors themselves.
I think another thing that should be pointed out is that this group wants "a better Hawaii". That's a noble cause, but how would removing the observatories make Hawaii better? This is, after all, what they are after. Can anyone answer that?
Bill HB2024 (https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=HB&billnumber=2024&year=2022) has been sent to the Senate Committee on Higher Ed (HRE) chaired by Senator Donna Kim, and the Senate Committee on Ways and Means (WAM) chaired by Senator Donovan Dela Cruz. It was not referred to the Senate Committee on Water and Land chaired by Senator Lorraine Inouye.

I think this is a bit of a surprise, but this is beyond my pay grade, I don't know what the consequences of this are right now. I think Inouye said the bill would be dead if her dept got it, so I'm sure that'll fire up a few conspiracy theories. In the meantime, I'll have to look up what the "ways and means" committee actually does.
WAM The purview of this committee includes those programs relating to overall state financing policies, including revenue enhancement, taxation, other revenues, and cash and debt management, statewide implementation of planning, programming, budgeting, and evaluation, and government structure and finance.
this group wants "a better Hawaii"

Maybe they should start with the oil-fired generators, or the oil-fired tourism industry, or the oil-fired importation of most food...
“They” are so stupid, “we” are so smart.

Maybe we should just kick them off the island since they are clearly to savage and ignorant to do anything right with the land.
(03-12-2022, 10:23 PM)HawaiiEV Wrote: “They” are so stupid, “we” are so smart.

Maybe we should just kick them off the island since they are clearly to savage and ignorant to do anything right with the land.

Who are you responding to?
(03-12-2022, 05:01 PM)Obie Wrote: WAM The purview of this committee includes those programs relating to overall state financing policies, including revenue enhancement, taxation, other revenues, and cash and debt management, statewide implementation of planning, programming, budgeting, and evaluation, and government structure and finance.

I haven't checked it myself, but yes, why has this gone to the Ways and Means committee? Right now only two things come to mind - 1) because Inouye said the bill would be killed in her committee and 2) you have to put it somewhere else if lawmakers want to make some money out of this or feel that it might get them elected again.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"
why has this gone to the Ways and Means committee? 

This is another good example why TMT advocates who are politicians, scientists, or observatory employees may be better off keeping quiet.  Anti-TMT protestors and sympathizers seem to often find some way around the rules, illegally blocking public roads, gut & replace, and now not sending a bill to the committee for which it’s intended next in the process.