Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monday Town Hall with Ruggles
Riversnout, just in case you missed my earlier reply: ignoring which oligarchs are in charge, what changes would you like to see? Maybe those changes can be made now, as a state, without waiting for the kingdom to come back?
Slippery slope. If I am exiled to mainland because "my people" stole the islands, then I will be confronted by Native Americans, who will insist that I should keep on going back to Scotland for much the same reasons. Upon arrival in the Highlands, I will be told to go back where I came from... America. So where, then? Maybe that's what all this recent interest in settling Mars is all about.
Slippery slope...

Imagine how the Jewish people feel.
Slippery slope...
Imagine how the Jewish people feel.

Let's not forget the Palestinians who lived where Israel is today.
Wow. I wonder if this kind of thing happens with every race, color, and creed, across the entire planet? Which makes it kind of... normal? Normal for humans and the human race? We have always moved from one place to another, and most likely will continue in the future, since it seems like maybe it's baked into our genetic disposition? And perhaps we could accept it, and live with it?

On Tuesday night, 9/18/2018 Hawaii Senator Mazie Hirono had another message for the Republican senators on the Judiciary Committee “Just shut up and step up. Do the right thing.” She added in another related comment, “Bull$hit.”
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
HOTPE, Are you suggesting violence is a genetic certainty? As if to say the animal still has that great of a grip on us?

You do realize we have to rise above that silliness, right? That to accomplish anything truly significant mankind has to stop killing each other. We need generations of people living to care for rather than compete against each other to truly explore the potential of our minds and our bodies. Warring and other activities of that nature keep us from accomplishing so much. I hope for the day it is nothing but a memory. Though I am sure some will say I am misguided. Are you one of them? Am I misguided?
Are you suggesting violence is a genetic certainty?

Moving.
Moving is a genetic certainty.
Menehunes came to Hawaii.
Tahitian navigators sailed to Hawaii.
Europeans and Americans made their way to the islands.
If we accept and live with the fact that people travel, and in this day and age almost nobody was anywhere first, we may learn how we can move around our planet without violence.

On Tuesday night, 9/18/2018 Hawaii Senator Mazie Hirono had another message for the Republican senators on the Judiciary Committee “Just shut up and step up. Do the right thing.” She added in another related comment, “Bull$hit.”
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
HOTPE - thanks for shutting down that straw man so quickly.
quote:
Originally posted by glinda

HOTPE, Are you suggesting violence is a genetic certainty? As if to say the animal still has that great of a grip on us?

You do realize we have to rise above that silliness, right? That to accomplish anything truly significant mankind has to stop killing each other. We need generations of people living to care for rather than compete against each other to truly explore the potential of our minds and our bodies. Warring and other activities of that nature keep us from accomplishing so much. I hope for the day it is nothing but a memory. Though I am sure some will say I am misguided. Are you one of them? Am I misguided?

Sometimes, I just get fed up with the hypocrisy here:

Glinda also wrote:

"As for things like the thieves up in Volcano that have been running rampant for months on end.. at this point I think an armed posse should hunt them down and flat out kill them. String their dead asses up from some big tree on highway 11 and let the world watch them rot!"

http://punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23747&whichpage=2

What are we supposed to do? Rise above silliness or just flat out kill people and watch them rot?
quote:
Originally posted by randomq

Riversnout, just in case you missed my earlier reply: ignoring which oligarchs are in charge, what changes would you like to see? Maybe those changes can be made now, as a state, without waiting for the kingdom to come back?

This would be an excellent discussion, but it would be a distraction from the main issue. The changes that would happen would obviously have to be by consensus of some kind. There are many changes I would like to see, and most of them would not stand a chance of being instituted by the current regime. This forum is chock full of such ideas.
"In 1784 Kamehameha I began a war of conquest, and, by 1795, with his superior use of modern weapons and western advisors, he subdued all other chiefdoms, with the exception of Kaua‘i. ------ In the face of the threat of a further invasion, in 1810, Kaumuali‘i decided to peacefully unite with Kamehameha and join the rest of the Kingdom of Hawai"i" http://totakeresponsibility.blogspot.com...kauai.html

So was the occupation of Maui , O'ahau, and Kaua'i a war crime? Was the Kingdom legitimate beyond Hawai'i island?