Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geothermal relocation plan on hold due to lava
"Tons of airborne known toxic chemical releasing into the air right up to peoples backyards"

Where do you live ?

Must not be in Hawaii !! I'm guessing you live in some imaginary place !
I live in the relocation zone - and love my spot and don't want to move. I'm not concerned about potential health problems so much as the noise and light pollution. When we first bought our property on Pohoiki Rd we knew about the geothermal plant, but for the first few years it was a calm purr. Most of the time unnoticeable. Or some guests remarked that with the wind blowing it sounded like ocean surf noise.

But the last drilling episode was like having a jackhammer running next door 24/7 for months. Not to mention the random metal pipe banging noises and the CB radios of the crew turned up loud enough to almost understand them. Once the drilling stopped the regular noise of the plant wasn't a calm purr anymore, it's now an angry roar. I cringe to think about going thru that again... and we're not even close to their maximum of 60megawatts.

So... even though I am not ready to leave, I would be more happy if they were better neighbors. For them to say the law that we passed about them drilling at night does't apply is like a slap in the face after all the noise they put us through. It was not bad at all when I first bought the property, but over the years it has become an ugly thing.
Has anyone else noticed that since early December, the distant hum of the plant is much quieter than what it used to be, just a few months ago? With the coquis being quiet, one would think that you should be able to hear the plant really well. I used to hear it over the coqui, now I barely hear it at night at all.
Leilanidude I have noticed that the noise is definitely affected by the wind. Depending on which way it blows it can be louder or quieter. And since we haven't had much wind lately... well, you must be in a sweet spot!
Per the new GM, they have been implementing various sound dampening techniques as of late. Still no sound wall though!
quote:
Originally posted by Obie

"Tons of airborne known toxic chemical releasing into the air right up to peoples backyards"

Where do you live ?

Insults and lies are the best you can do? Are you saying PGV no longer adds toxic anti-corrosives to the wells by the tons? Hydrogen sulfide is not a health risk? Here's what the CDC has to say:

"Exposure to high concentrations of hydrogen sulfide can cause well-documented, adverse health effects. At high concentrations(500-1,000 parts per million [ppm]), hydrogen sulfide acts primarily as a systemic poison, causing unconsciousness and death by respiratory paralysis. At lower concentrations (50-500 ppm),it acts as a respiratory irritant, which can lead to pulmonary edema upon exposure to concentrations in excess of 250 ppm. Exposure to hydrogen sulfide concentrations of 20-50 ppm may cause eye irritation and conjunctivitis. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has established an occupational standard of 10 ppm in the workplace to protect against eye irritation and conjunctivitis.

quote:
Originally posted by Punatic007

quote:

Where do you live ?

Insults and lies are the best you can do? Are you saying PGV no longer adds toxic anti-corrosives to the wells by the tons? Hydrogen sulfide is not a health risk? Here's what the CDC has to say:

"Exposure to high concentrations of hydrogen sulfide can cause well-documented, adverse health effects. At high concentrations(500-1,000 parts per million [ppm]), hydrogen sulfide acts primarily as a systemic poison, causing unconsciousness and death by respiratory paralysis. At lower concentrations (50-500 ppm),it acts as a respiratory irritant, which can lead to pulmonary edema upon exposure to concentrations in excess of 250 ppm. Exposure to hydrogen sulfide concentrations of 20-50 ppm may cause eye irritation and conjunctivitis. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has established an occupational standard of 10 ppm in the workplace to protect against eye irritation and conjunctivitis.

Punatic007 - PGV is NOT releasing tons of anything into the air. Claiming that they are, is the real lie.
"Geothermal development poses a potential health threat due to the hydrogen sulfide (H2S, a poisonous gas) that may be released in geothermal steam. At levels as low as 10 parts per billion (ppb) the gas can be detected as the smell of rotting eggs; at 50-100 parts per million (ppm) it can cause dizziness, coughing,headaches, and eye irritation; and at very high levels, which do not occur from
geothermal facilities
, concentrations that exceed 600 ppm, the gas can be fatal"

Since geothermal can't release H2S in high enough levels to cause unconsciousness and death the anti people should quit referring to the effects of high concentrations.

I have heard tales of people passing out during one of the major leaks but maybe that was just another myth...
quote:

"Geothermal development poses a potential health threat due to the hydrogen sulfide (H2S, a poisonous gas) that may be released in geothermal steam. At levels as low as 10 parts per billion (ppb) the gas can be detected as the smell of rotting eggs; at 50-100 parts per million (ppm) it can cause dizziness, coughing,headaches, and eye irritation; and at very high levels, which do not occur from
geothermal facilities
, concentrations that exceed 600 ppm, the gas can be fatal"

Since geothermal can't release H2S in high enough levels to cause unconsciousness and death the anti people should quit referring to the effects of high concentrations.

I just watched on Big Island Video news that Mike the mgr when asked by Bob P. if the company air quality monitors are functioning at PGV, he honestly admitted they were not even turned on or hooked up. So how can you folks be so sure it's so safe when the retired head of Civil Defense after years of working with PGV and the community says it's at toxic levels to the community. I've spoken with one too many folks in the health care field here who say they have treated numerous residents with serious health problems from the geothermal.

What planet are you guys on? Why so cavalier regarding the health of innocent people? It's to the point where a few of you are clearly presenting yourselves as pathological.