Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First snow of the season
@markp - I'm very interested in your setup, care to post a few details regarding data you're collecting and devices in use? I'm planning to do something similar at some point down the road. At this point I'm still researching.
"I just got my home weather station operational here..."

What, no more 5 gallon bucket?
but what happened to the predicted dry winter?

Tomorrow is the Winter Solstice, first day of winter.
Fingers crossed.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
For those that didn't get around to seeing the early snow before much of it went away, I have a screen grab from Keck from early Sunday (12/20) morning:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ve1l5ub24kixaw...1.jpg?dl=0
Nice shot Carey. Maybe this coming Friday it will be a white xmas atop MK. [^][Sad!][^][V]
Beejee: My system used to be a 5-gallon bucket. Now it is the Accu-Rite Professional Weather Center, Model 02064C, purchased a month ago at Costco.

PunaMauka2: What can I say. I'm moving up in the world. This unit is however just nailed to a 2x4 that is in turn nailed to my eave.

This unit measures wind speed and direction, air temperature, relative humidity, and rainfall outdoors as well as air temperature and RH indoors. The outdoor sensor package and the indoor display are wirelessly connected, which is a problem for me since I live in a steel box. Reception is apparently good enough if I hang the indoor display from the frame of the window over the door with the sensor on the eave just above. You have to look up towards the ceiling to read it but it works. The system claims to forecast the weather but I don't think I'll bother keeping track of that.

As for data collected so far, RAIN, almost 5" in 2 days. The bucket could have told me that. High of 79 and low of 60, RH mostly in the high 90s. Average wind speed 4 mph from NE. Moon waxing gibbous (needed the system for that as I haven't seen the sky in a while). Get this: CHANCE OF RAIN! Worth every penny just for that.
Beejee: My system used to be a 5-gallon bucket. Now it is the Accu-Rite Professional Weather Center, Model 02064C, purchased a month ago at Costco.

PunaMauka2: What can I say. I'm moving up in the world. This unit is however just nailed to a 2x4 that is in turn nailed to my eave.

This unit measures wind speed and direction, air temperature, relative humidity, and rainfall outdoors as well as air temperature and RH indoors. The outdoor sensor package and the indoor display are wirelessly connected, which is a problem for me since I live in a steel box. Reception is apparently good enough if I hang the indoor display from the frame of the window over the door with the sensor on the eave just above. You have to look up towards the ceiling to read it but it works. The system claims to forecast the weather but I don't think I'll bother keeping track of that.

As for data collected so far, RAIN, almost 5" in 2 days. The bucket could have told me that. High of 79 and low of 60, RH mostly in the high 90s. Average wind speed 4 mph from NE. Moon waxing gibbous (needed the system for that as I haven't seen the sky in a while). Get this: CHANCE OF RAIN! Worth every penny just for that.
My system used to be a 5-gallon bucket <------- Dengue Alert!! [xx(]

Thanks Mark for posting some details, sounds like a really cool system you have. Aloha.

"For those that didn't get around to seeing the early snow before much of it went away, I have a screen grab from Keck from early Sunday (12/20) morning:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ve1l5ub24kixaw...1.jpg?dl=0
"

Thanks, Carey, looks as though Keck was busy turning their parking lot into a ice skating rink!
Looks as though a little more snow is on the way tonight (Monday) at the summit, but nothing heavy. Ice is likely to be the bigger issue - some has just been detected on the road next to UKIRT and probably more to come.

The MKWC forecast was updated today and that warming trend I mentioned earlier may now not happen until Thursday.