Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Depot/Amazon/etc free shipping deals
Not "free shipping" but I couldn't figure out another thread to put this in:

http://info.hpmhawaii.com/sales-and-specials

You can click through and turn pages in the ad. Click the right arrow on the first picture. The second click shows some ubiquitous Puna tarp/tent structures on sale. 10x20 canopy kit $99, $20 off a 20x20, etc. Plus, free bucket with any purchase during their sale, including 10% off anything that will fit in the bucket!

Only in Puna can you buy a piece of land for $3000, a $99 plastic house to live in, including a free bucket to use as a toilet.
Thanks terracore, I entered.

Hope I don’t get spammed!
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
Walmart.com right now reminds me of years ago when Costco started shipping--they hadn't yet noticed that Hawaii shipping couldn't profitably be handled the same as mainland. After a few months everything shipping from Costco to Hawaii was extra charged for shipping.

In any case, Walmart shipped a poker table and a lithium item fedex second day air to me recently. Amazon would not ship either type of item at all. Can't imagine Walmart will keep this up forever, but since Amazon stopped shipping things with lithium batteries and won't ship many larger items free with prime (or at all), Walmart is worth a look in those arenas...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ESPN-10-Playe.../172140278

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EF-ECOFLOW-Po.../178614202

Cheers,
Kirt
There's always the use a mainland address to place the order, then update the order to the Hawaii Address. Ive done that before on items they would not ship otherwise @amazon.
"Can't imagine Walmart will keep this up forever"

Long term strategy is probably to make money selling their membership similar to Amazon with Prime. A workaround I found, was the $35 minimum order for free shipping applies to ANY order, even if they are mixed. So I can do curbside pickup for layer feed and whatever else in the cart that has to be shipped is shipped free even if the shipped items total were under $35.

"There's always the use a mainland address to place the order, then update the order to the Hawaii Address. Ive done that before on items they would not ship otherwise @amazon."

Thanks for the tip, I will try that! Another strategy I found is that often times if they won't ship an item to Hawaii, if I can the same product as a "warehouse deal", then they will ship it, and at a lower cost. Look at the "other sellers" list and see if Amazon Warehouse Deal is one of them. They almost exclusively ship warehouse deals UPS so less chance of standing in a post office line.
(02-14-2022, 07:36 PM)kander Wrote: There's always the use a mainland address to place the order, then update the order to the Hawaii Address. Ive done that before on items they would not ship otherwise @amazon.

Didn’t work for lithium. Tried.

And even with the try/test, I really can’t imagine following through. Seems kinda like shoplifting to me…

Walmart not figuring out they are losing money with FedEx shipping to Hawaii, seems fair play. But scumming Amazon (who has lost money with Hawaii shipping for a long while, but never bailing) by doing what you say, just seems sleezy.

But, “ I’m fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing” as always…

Cheers,
Kirt
"Seems kinda like shoplifting to me…"

Not sure I understand, since Prime advertises "free shipping". It doesn't advertise, "free shipping dependent on how our algorithms capriciously operate". I don't disagree that my life choice to live where I do might require me to pay more, in that case, charge me the difference (like Costco). Don't lock a % of the products as completely off limits.

I have, on occasion, used the Amazon chat feature to get them to ship something to me that was behind their Cardboard Curtain. In those cases the agent explained to me there was an error on how the item was listed that was preventing it from being eligible for shipping to Hawaii.

They invented this game, I'm playing by their rules, and I pay. That's nothing like shoplifting.
They invented this game, I'm playing by their rules

And kudos to any human who can outwit the AI behind the curtain.
We’ll need officers like terracore in the Algorithm War to come.  

Didn't you see what the Cylons did in Battlestar Galactica, knieft?
How has everybody's Amazon orders been getting delivered? Our last 20 orders (I checked) were sent via UPS, and MOST of the ones sent before dating back to last few months of 2021 were also sent UPS (they sent a lot of stuff USPS during xmas rush though).

Our default shipping address has been to PO box "street address" and then I use UPS website to have them redirected to our house to avoid the dreadful waiting line.

But if they are shifting towards UPS in general I would change shipping address to our house with PO box on second line.

What's your experiences?
My experience is nearly the opposite. My last dozens of orders have all come USPS/Amazon, not UPS.

High variance in delivery times though. A few are literally overnight. Most two - four days. And then there is getting a refund for a late package (almost always "Package left the carrier facility. Buena Park, CA US") and it arrives a week or so later.

(Don't know why that doesn't feel like shoplifting. Wink)

Cheers,
Kirt

edit to add: I haven't stood in line for months since I got a box at 808AlohaMail behind Pahoa Fresh Fish in the Subway building at Pahoa Marketplace. Just too convenient to resist...