Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transair Cargo Plane Crash
This is the same type of plane we all fly across the Pacific in as passengers. I am incredibly curious what could cause both engines to fail, as should we all be. It is almost unthinkable.
same type of plane we all fly across the Pacific in as passengers.

The Transair Cargo plane was an old, old model.  The engines on the early 737's are extremely loud, and I believe are only allowed in Hawaii and Alaska, and perhaps a few other places.  The decibel level is too loud for operations at most American airports.  And did I mention the engines are old?

I spoke with an acquaintance last week who is a retired NTSB investigator and he said his former colleagues would currently be pouring over maintenance records.  From the accounts he read it's unlikely the crash was caused by an operations error (pilots) so it's probably mechanical.  There is salvage equipment on Oahu that can descend 400 feet below the ocean and bring up the wreckage. My acquaintance thought the black box should be intact which will yield a little more additional info.

It's true this plane was a 737 and many passenger airlines use 737's.  But it's more like comparing a 1972 Ford with an AM radio and roll down windows to a 2017 Ford.  They're both Fords, but the newer model has less miles and more safety features.
"This is the same type of plane we all fly across the Pacific in as passengers. "

HOTPE pretty much covered it all.

In addition those early 737's don't have the range to fly from the mainland and when they are ferried to Hawaii there are bladder fuel tanks installed on the main deck where the passenger seats are located.

I was involved in this once years ago when Aloha bought some 737's from Western Airlines.
bladder fuel tanks installed on the main deck

This is an option to extend the range of any type of aircraft -- it requires a special license from FAA, and that permission is per-flight.
"This is an option to extend the range of any type of aircraft -- it requires a special license from FAA, and that permission is per-flight."

I don't think you'll find many airlines that fly passengers with bladder tanks in the main cabin. This was a 737-200 (an advanced version I think, but that's likely 1970s or 80s advanced). The 737s that fly between the mainland and Hawaii are more modern and larger variations of the 737 with a much longer range.
I don't think you'll find many airlines that fly passengers with bladder tanks in the main cabin.

Context was "ferried", not "carrying passengers".
(07-15-2021, 05:19 PM)kalakoa Wrote: I don't think you'll find many airlines that fly passengers with bladder tanks in the main cabin.

Context was "ferried", not "carrying passengers".

No, the context was "This is the same type of plane we all fly across the Pacific in as passengers.". Please reread the recent comments.
I have a better idea.
(07-16-2021, 07:42 AM)kalakoa Wrote: I have a better idea.

Sigh. I'm sure you do.
Mail might start getting later.

The FAA grounded Rhodes !

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/faa-grou...30489.html