Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Covid variant named Mu
(09-07-2021, 05:35 AM)AaronM Wrote: Mu is resistant to the current vaccines and will require a new vaccine.  A booster shot will not do the trick with this one.
Yes (So is Delta), No and No.
(09-07-2021, 08:04 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: ... which is why we have the more ambiguous terms "may", "uncertain" rather than the wording that the OP chose to use!

Yes.  Exactly.
Here are a few other VOI's which have been identified but have not yet caused worldwide impact (below).  Ever heard of them, other than lambda?

There are four other VOIs being watched by the WHO – eta, iota, kappa and lambda – but none of these have been reclassified as a VOC. That might be the case with mu as well, but we have to await further data.
https://scitechdaily.com/covid-mu-everyt...s-variant/

It's all Greek to me
I can't help but wonder if the 2 variants of South American origin would have been kept at bay had we been treating our southern border like a border.

You know, with checkpoints and mandatory rapid testing. I have to jump through more hoops to fly to Oahu then I would have to in order to walk from Mexico to Arizona.
2 variants of South American origin
walk from Mexico to Arizona.

You do realize that Mexico is not in South America?  The walk you suggest would actually be thousands of miles from Brazil to Arizona.  Many more hoops than traveling from Big Island to Oahu. (including but not limited to flaming hoops, multiple border crossing hoops, hunger hoops, dying of thirst hoops, riding on top of freight car hoops, dengue fever and other illness hoops)
(09-07-2021, 09:02 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: 2 variants of South American origin
walk from Mexico to Arizona.

You do realize that Mexico is not in South America?  The walk you suggest would actually be thousands of miles from Brazil to Arizona.  Many more hoops than traveling from Big Island to Oahu. (including but not limited to flaming hoops, multiple border crossing hoops, hunger hoops, dying of thirst hoops, riding on top of freight car hoops, dengue fever and other illness hoops)

Mexico is not South America, but South Americans are going through Mexico.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
It's here. It isn't here. Who to believe?

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/09/07...ed-hawaii/
Certainty will be the death of us.
South Americans are going through Mexico.

Very few.  And of the few who illegally enter from our border with Mexico a tiny percentage are from South America because it's a long and perilous journey.  Which would most likely kill anyone with COVID on the way, or prevent them from undertaking the trip in the first place.  I would wager a bet that more cases of COVID enter Hawaii from local residents returning from a vacation in Vegas, than COVID cases from all of South America into the US.

In March, we rated False a claim that the border "is now open to anyone from anywhere in the world who wishes to enter our country." And in April, we rated False a claim that the U.S. is locked down and there’s "a wide open border."
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/20...e-trying-/
Give the guy a break, he just needs some confirmation bias to make him feel better about his poor choices.
HDOA is unable to keep invasive plants out and the CDC is unable to keep covid variants out. Big Government at 'work'.
(09-07-2021, 10:23 PM)randomq Wrote: Give the guy a break, he just needs some confirmation bias to make him feel better about his poor choices.

Every time I read the less pleasant folks' less than pleasant comments, I'm reminded of my Dad telling me that every time you point a finger at others, you have three pointing back at you.

All of the snarling, hateful comments seem to come from the same folks who are stuck with the choice they have made.  Aaron can always change his mind about his.   Who really has confirmation bias?