Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELLco's Third World power system failure
lol 2x Crashd and How dare you ?!! : ) .. yea. Scavenging ground wood 1st ( more erosion and lost nutrients cycling back ), dead trees next ( more of the same ), then eventually everyone will have a saw and will be lopping anything down + burning garbage too. Plenty clean air and bonus extra sun right ???
Gotta cook rice!
ZERO mention of holding off on EV charging.

That's because people with a recent EV model can power their house with their car for 3 days if there's a blackout.  EV cars aren't a problem when grid power is low, they're the solution.

Bidirectional charging enables vehicle-to-grid (V2G) and vehicle-to-home (V2H) charging. As EV adoption grows, V2G aims to supply substantial amounts of electricity from vehicle batteries to balance energy demands. Additionally, the technology can optimize energy usage based on the time of day and utility costs; for example, during peak energy usage times, EVs can be used to return power to the grid, and they can be charged during off-peak times at a lower cost.

https://www.cars.com/articles/whats-bidi...it-457608/
"Thats because .. " Go for it ! Lots of gas or propane can be purchased for the price of those cables. Even Musk says its not that useful.

Solution > less cars on the road is about it.
 Even Musk says its not that useful.

Then it's certainly fortunate there are many other EV car manufacturers other than Tesla.  Not to mention, Musk's comment was not at all accurate or based in reality.  
Are you against technology that would prevent rolling blackouts on Big Island?

because if you unplug your car, your house goes dark, and this is extremely inconvenient.”

a home would simply switch to grid power when the car is unplugged. So Musk’s answer was, at best, quite glib.
https://electrek.co/2023/03/01/tesla-say...t-will-it/
V2G say what ?? LOL.

Will YOU keep plugged/cycling your $$$ bat to the grid to help then ??
Will YOU keep plugged

When the alternative is to sit in the dark until HELCO restores power?
Which would yoiu choose?  
Friends don't let friends post internet comments while inebriated.

Looking at you Big 'E.
Large commercial customers can get an "interruptible" rate, extra cheap power that the power company can cut at will. At least that was so on Oahu. HECO also extended this to electric water heaters in homes. For a small rebate they would install a remotely controllable disconnect on the water heater. Anyway, I personally would not have vehicle to grid charging but I would have vehicle to home charging. The most I would give the power company would be to allow them to cut my utility power when they wanted. I'd have batteries and panels and probably wouldn't be buying that much electricity from them anyway, and that only at night so I could baby my batteries and minimize cycling or run things like aquaculture pumps overnight.
 but I would have vehicle to home charging. 

Yes.
It's great that technology provides us with options to power our essential electrical devices like aquaculture pumps.  Or refrigerators if the power goes out.  Or a few lights at night.  Turn off nonessential electrical items in your home, power what you need and it will barely draw on your car battery.  A power source (car battery) that doesn't make noise like a gas generator, if you are someone who likes peace and quiet.

Or, if you prefer to keep your buggy whip, kerosene lamps or candles, you have that option too.  Why tell 21st century luddites how to live, it's their choice isn't it?  Live and let live.