Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Permafrost on Mauna Kea is disappearing
Electric cars are really diesel cars on this island.

Not necessarily.
My EV is charged 90% of the time from solar panels.
Also, if you look at the roofs of businesses with EV charging stations, many have rows of solar panels installed on them.
Even the HELCO grid is powered by homeowner’s net metering, geothermal, and the new solar farm in Waikoloa.

perfect way to look at the EV ... Gonna use dat.

Sure, why not?  If you believe it, it’s probably true inside your head.  Isn’t that good enough?
(05-18-2023, 05:14 PM)AinaAKai Wrote: We all know about Permafrost from Gold Rish. I think it is safe to say that this will greatly improve any gold mining activities on the mountain. Permafrost really has no redeaming value.

I don't think there's much call for gold mining on Mauna Kea.
5 pounds of earth moved for every mile EVs go down the road. Let that sink in.

Achieved by, but not limited to:

Strip mining, deforestation, heavy DIESEL equipment and extreme COAL processing, heavy metal contamination, air pollution, unchecked child and persecuted, forced slave labor.

Do you really think China for example cares ? Nope, they are laughing as our reliance on them grows more and more.

All so NIMBYarders can brag how they can just magically plug and play.

+ Dare not peer through the knothole.

And yeah, drill for all. New Hawaii has a nice ring ..lol

peace and aloha
(05-18-2023, 02:08 PM)leilanidude Wrote: I wonder how the lake and permafrost are now after the record breaking winter storms and snowfall?

I hear that Lake Waiua on Mauna Kea is doing just fine but haven't visited for a while so haven't seen it for myself recently. However, since permafrost is not the reason it exists, I'm not sure why you ask the question. As for the permafrost itself, its definition means it's water ice frozen in soil or rock below the surface which exists for at least two years. The winter storms will have made very little difference to it although they would likely have affected the active layer above the permafrost. But that's why it's called the active layer.
Strip mining, deforestation, heavy DIESEL equipment and extreme COAL processing, heavy metal contamination, air pollution, unchecked child and persecuted, forced slave labor. 

WOW!  That’s a lot of bad stuff.  I wonder how it compares to manufacturing an internal combustion vehicle which uses many of the same components like metal doors, windshields, plastic, semiconductors, copper, etc.  Without the benefit of a more efficient electric motor that requires less power to deliver the same horsepower.   A gas powered vehicle also needs constant, repeated consumption of oil drilled and shipped, drilled and shipped for the entire lifetime of the car.

Or do you drive an earth car you've designed and constructed yourself from milled Hamakua Coast eucalyptus boards, tires naturally sourced at the old rubber plantation in Nahiku, Maui, and a team of large dogs pulling you toward your destination?
(05-17-2023, 06:39 PM)Wao nahele wahine Wrote: 'Note that this was from an international geophysics conference so it certainly has a scientfic "flabor" and was certainly peer to peer.'

flabor?

Just curious, but have you figured it out yet?

PS. Good to see Hawaii mainstream media enter late with a profoundly disappointing message:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2023/05/21...hers-find/

It reminded me of Steve Martin's "The Man with Two Brains" and Dr. Hfuhruhurr and then went all out silly:

"He goes on to say that you could try to help the permafrost from melting by placing a protective tarp over the body of frost, but it would have to be on there for 10,000 years."
All so NIMBYarders can brag how they can just magically plug and play.

Shortsightedness, whether it’s permafrost and climate change, horses and automobiles, ICE & EV:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Just curious, but have you figured it out yet?

However, I will answer.  Didn't take me long, but decided against deleting my post to see if anyone would comment.
Wahine

Lead by example
(05-23-2023, 02:23 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: All so NIMBYarders can brag how they can just magically plug and play.

Shortsightedness, whether it’s permafrost and climate change, horses and automobiles, ICE & EV:

"Here in the U.S., the first successful electric car made its debut around 1890 thanks to William Morrison, a chemist who lived in Des Moines, Iowa. His six-passenger vehicle capable of a top speed of 14 miles per hour was little more than an electrified wagon, but it helped spark interest in electric vehicles.

Over the next few years, electric vehicles from different automakers began popping up across the U.S. New York City even had a fleet of more than 60 electric taxis. By 1900, electric cars were at their heyday, accounting for around a third of all vehicles on the road. During the next 10 years, they continued to show strong sales."

https://www.energy.gov/articles/history-electric-car

Smiles here, one should not overlook garlic power. I'm patiently waiting for that I told you so moment. I remember as a lad in Des Moines all those years ago whoa 1910 it was, seeing those electricified wagons smashing through the horse apples and thinking this is so wrong.