Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
airport parking price hikes effective 2/1/24
(12-31-2023, 11:59 PM)HiloJulie Wrote: Don’t forget the job position of “License Plate Recorder”

When you park at most airports, your license plate is recorded. Be it by camera, or as its done in Hilo, by hand, on paper with pen while riding in a golf cart.

One time I tried to beat the system by getting my license plates wet and throwing concrete powder on them to make hard to read.  My theory was right and the golf cart driver didn't clean/read them.

But when I went to the DMV to register the car, they left the counter and opened the front door and looked at it, and said I needed a weight certificate for encasing it in concrete.  I argued that there was at most 200 pounds added, including the Fez hat hanging from the rear view mirror, but then they demanded that I get the vehicle towed to a weigh station.  Both ways.  Uphill.  The tow truck driver was moonlighting from his golf cart job. I guess driving a go-cart around all day wasn't enough.  De Plane! De Plane!

One never wins when poking the bureaucracy. Don't ever forget that common sense.

TOTALLY unrelated, but after the DMV trip I read this cool article:  https://www.physics-astronomy.com/conspi...xperiment/
Having been in the legal profession for decades, the one thing I learned and practice to this very day is total and complete organization of and compliance with any and all of the rules and regulations needed to do any such transactions as needed, including the DMV - no matter how ridiculous in nature they may be.

A simple check of the REQUIREMENTS to title and register an out of State vehicle are quite clear and concise:

Transfering an Out-of-State Vehicle Registration | Hawaii County, HI Vehicle Registration & Licensing

Note one of the specific requirements: 

"If we do not have the weight of the vehicle as established by the manufacturer; you may be required to have the vehicle weighed at a state certified scale.  A weight slip is required for vehicles models 2016 and newer."

In as much as I cannot fathom the need to have the vehicle weighed when its weight can be easily obtained thru numerous sources escapes me. But it is clearly stated in the rules, so as "The Borg" would say; "Resistance is Futile!"

And while I think it's common knowledge that the DMV is a bureaucracy of monumental incompetence, my one and only true real beef with them, as well as the State of Hawaii in general, is that Good Friday is a State Holiday.
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
you may be required to have the vehicle weighed at a state certified scale. 

Someone writing the regulations probably watched the movie Animal House, and saw how Delta House converted a Lincoln Continental into the Deathmobile.  With out of state resources it could happen with any make and model, and year.  Better safe than sorry.

https://fraserengineco.com/fraser-fast-f...athmobile/
(01-02-2024, 09:52 AM)HiloJulie Wrote: Having been in the legal profession for decades, the one thing I learned and practice to this very day is total and complete organization of and compliance with any and all of the rules and regulations needed to do any such transactions as needed, including the DMV - no matter how ridiculous in nature they may be.

A simple check of the REQUIREMENTS to title and register an out of State vehicle are quite clear and concise:

Transfering an Out-of-State Vehicle Registration | Hawaii County, HI Vehicle Registration & Licensing

Note one of the specific requirements: 

"If we do not have the weight of the vehicle as established by the manufacturer; you may be required to have the vehicle weighed at a state certified scale.  A weight slip is required for vehicles models 2016 and newer."

In my fun with them, it was a 2008. But it wasn't an out of state transfer, so no idea what their guidebook of nonsense stipulates.
I was required to weigh a 2000 Tacoma. Apparently it was the first (and only) one on the island.
So who gets the kickbacks from the scale? Or are they just that apathetic?
If I was a masochist, I would have asked the scale guy to record the weight in kilograms and told the DMV lady it was a metric car and the odometer reading was in kilometers.

"You can use a VIN decoder if you don't believe me."

I'm sure there's a fine for something like that.
Monthly parking passes for the general public will no longer be offered at the Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport at Keāhole, effective June 1, 2024.

The move is in response to increased demand for daily parking and the limited availability of spaces at the airport facility, according to Hawai‘i Department of Transportation.
The airport currently has 1,706 parking stalls, which includes 300 to 400 spaces for airport employees. The discontinuation of monthly parking for non-airport employees will free up spaces for daily use by the wider community.

The additional funding that will be generated from daily parking when the monthly parking is eliminated will allow the state agency to improve Keāhole Airport by adding electronic signs with parking availability, setting up preregister reservation systems, and increasing the number of stalls in commercial and employee lots.

These improvements will allow HDOT to meet parking demand efficiently.
The Kona airport is the last of the state’s five major airports to discontinue monthly parking for non-airport employees. Airports serving Hilo, Kahului, Līhu‘e and Honolulu stopped selling monthly parking to the general public in 2017.

https://bigislandnow.com/2024/04/09/mont...is-summer/
(04-12-2024, 12:58 AM)terracore Wrote: Monthly parking passes for the general public will no longer be offered at the Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport at Keāhole, effective June 1, 2024.

The move is in response to increased demand for daily parking and the limited availability of spaces at the airport facility, according to Hawai‘i Department of Transportation.
The airport currently has 1,706 parking stalls, which includes 300 to 400 spaces for airport employees. The discontinuation of monthly parking for non-airport employees will free up spaces for daily use by the wider community.

The additional funding that will be generated from daily parking when the monthly parking is eliminated will allow the state agency to improve Keāhole Airport by adding electronic signs with parking availability, setting up preregister reservation systems, and increasing the number of stalls in commercial and employee lots.

These improvements will allow HDOT to meet parking demand efficiently.
The Kona airport is the last of the state’s five major airports to discontinue monthly parking for non-airport employees. Airports serving Hilo, Kahului, Līhu‘e and Honolulu stopped selling monthly parking to the general public in 2017.

https://bigislandnow.com/2024/04/09/mont...is-summer/
Those monthly passes must have been well used if this move pencils out as freeing up a notable number of spaces. A bummer for the elite who have been leaving their cars parked there during extended vacations?
It's Turo owners. And for KOA to be the final holdout somebody in the decision making process was renting out vehicles via Turo. KOA parking has been some of the worst.

The elite get dropped off directly at the steps leading into their private aircraft.