Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USPS Ground Advantage
(01-11-2024, 01:06 AM)kalakoa Wrote: Sounds almost third-world.
@kalakoa:  You still seem to be having trouble letting go of your failed attempt to make a go of it here in Hawaii.  Ever since you moved back to America, you've never missed a chance to point out to those of us who remain (and are making a go of it) how backward, benighted, and blighted our chosen home is.  When you lived here, your critical comments had relevance, but once you left it all became just sour grapes.  You briefly took a break when I called you out on this a few months ago and said "over and out," but you just couldn't stay away.  It's kinda sad really.
Maybe it's just perspective, but I don't see any "sour grapes" when the third-world references have so many accurate elements. And for what it's worth, they pointed out how backward, benighted, and blighted our chosen home is when they still lived here, so its not like anything has changed. Moving away doesn't revoke somebody's lived-in-blighted card. Personally, I would love to hear more from the Punawebbers that moved away- Royall, Riverwolf, too many others to mention and others who's names I've forgotten.
At the Pahoa PO, I frequently see people just drop packages in the bin to the left of the counter without waiting in line. Is that what they sealed closed?
@terracore; I agree with much of kalakoa's criticism. I just give more weight to it when it comes from people who are still here finding ways to deal with those issues and trying however they can to change things. Example: Instead of continuing to complain about Kaiser (which I have done here on Punaweb), Frau Chunkster and I moved our medical care to a newly expanded medical group that is helping develop on-island health services and resources. So far, the experience has been positive in every way.
(01-11-2024, 03:55 AM)kalianna Wrote: At the Pahoa PO, I frequently see people just drop packages in the bin to the left of the counter without waiting in line.  Is that what they sealed closed?

No, the parcel drop I refer to was in the area with the PO Boxes. I haven't been in there in years (on purpose) so I'm not familiar with the current layout.

I went there during the COVID nonsense to drop something in the blue outdoor mailbox and saw the long line with everybody 6 feet apart.  One guy was wearing a face mask.

ONLY a face mask.
I'll check back in a few years and see if things have gotten any better.
in a few years

I enjoy your commentary kalakoa. It’s generally intelligent and insightful, and when on the negative side it’s still usually accurate. I prefer that to make believe history filled with moonbeams and kumbaya. Or phony medical advice from those either on lengthy vacations, or perhaps dearly departed from following their own advice.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I don't know if its coincidence or what, but since they rolled out the new Ground Disadvantage pricing structure, Amazon has shifted from shipping almost everything UPS to shipping it via USPS.

The good news: Amazon is shipping things faster. Sometimes a lot faster.

The bad news: The shipping transit time is slower and I have to wait in line to get it. Also some things have apparently disappeared en route. I'm wondering if it's on a boat. I got a refund for them but that doesn't help that our dog is out of food because of Ground Disadvantage.
"I'm wondering if it's on a boat."

This is indeed the case. I overheard a USPS supervisor telling a disgruntled customer exactly that.
Maybe it was me. I've never left that place feeling anything but disgruntled.