Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats
(05-03-2024, 08:21 AM)elepaio pid= Wrote:This is a compassionate and wonderful person. Saving lives. She is NOT a criminal. She feeding them out of goodness of her heart ( and pocket )

Basically assuming role of mother and taking care of those that cannot. 

I bet her citation is a shock to her heart.

.Mongoose in the trough as well..

Poor Lady .. Now cat's foods she delivery after dark.

Speaking of the Dunning-Kruger Effect, so you favor the proliferation of an invasive species that are one of the most devastating predators of Hawaii's unique wildlife that in addition to direct predation, also spread a potentially lethal parasite (Toxoplasma gondii) that contaminates terrestrial, freshwater, and marine environments and has been shown to negatively impact birds and mammals – including humans over that of an endemic bird exclusively found in the wild on the islands of Oahu, Maui, Kauai, Molokai, and Hawaiʻi where there is less than 4,000 of them left?

Speaks well into your immigrated viewpoint of American Patriotism.

Maybe I'll start a coqui frog egg hatchery. I'd be assuming the mother role, right?
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
Kitten shows up .. what will you do?
elepaio pid=' dateline=\'1714728089' Wrote:Kitten shows up ..  what will you do?

Humanely trap it and turn it over to animal control. Which any person who cares about the environment, especially native wildlife, should do.

Nenes are killed off to extinction. What does humanity do?
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
BEWARE >> This is the person / neighbor who turns you in folks .BC u not wearing a muzzle in your own yard. Or '___ whatever she no like BC she saw it " on the news"

Watch her vitriolic reply next minute or so..She can't help herself ..Has to ___
(05-03-2024, 09:54 AM)elepaio pid= Wrote:BEWARE >> This is the person / neighbor who turns you in folks  .BC u not wearing a muzzle in your own yard.

Are you speaking from experience? Did you defy a judge's order or something?
(05-03-2024, 09:54 AM)elepaio pid= Wrote:BEWARE >> This is the person / neighbor who turns you in folks  .BC u not wearing a muzzle in your own yard. Or '___  whatever she no like BC she saw it " on the news"

Watch her vitriolic reply next minute or so..She can't help herself ..Has to ___

Come to think of it, isn't cat a delicacy menu item in your birth country?
Oh ..a 2 for one. ..true person reply.. Notice this nastyness Punawebers that's how they are

Cats rule dogs drool..
(05-03-2024, 10:22 AM)elepaio pid= Wrote:Oh ..a 2 for one. ..true  person reply.. Notice this  nastyness  Punawebers that's how they are

Cats rule  dogs drool..

Speaking of dogs, isn't that another of your birth country's delicacy's?

And as far as that Dunning-Kruger Effect talk, thanks for being the textbook example!
You guys seem to be having so much fun, I hate to interrupt but I have a few questions about this. 

What is the desired result of not feeding the cats?  Are we expecting that the cats will all die of starvation and the nene will live happily ever after?  Aside from not sounding very humane, I doubt that it will work that way.  More likely, the cats will just be hungrier, more aggressive, and less healthy from having to forage for garbage, rats, birds and perhaps a few nene eggs or chicks.

Also, the article says the infection is “spread only in the feces of feral cats”.  Why not domestic cats?  Could it be the better quality of food and care that they get?  Hmmm. 

Don’t get me wrong.  I care about the nene.  I care about all animals, even cats, although I’m more of a dog person.  I hope there is a solution, I’m just not sure that this is it.  But I guess I should just believe that the DLNR knows what they’re doing.  Their track record speaks for itself.
Good point. I remember some years ago there was a campaign in Hilo, probably Banyon Drive, to neuter feral cats. I'll try and research that if I have the time. The problem with that is it's pretty labor-intensive, and I don't see how a similar campaign would work in the Puna subdivisions.