Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5-13-24 Ocean View Man Arrested Following Barricaded Standoff in Kaʻū
Apparently the caretaker wasn't aware/hadn't been advised that the estranged husband was a homicidal maniac.
In all seriousness and thankfully no one was hurt or killed, I think a big round of applause for our Police is in order - considering the enormous and vast Police response and having to deal with this crack pot - says a lot. About the training, the discipline, the equipment, so on and so forth. 

But........

Why does it take nearly 28 hours for the outcome of this to be officially released to the news media? Considering that if, and I say IF, the Police responded and just went "Mozambique Drill" on this guy - it would have been in the media in less than 5 minutes.

Which is why, when I posted this, I could not justify a proper thread title. Further, when you look at the social media postings going on at the time, it was virtually every scenario imaginable being posted by uninformed guessing people - NONE of it even remotely close to the reality of what happened, so I did not want to interject "rumor" in absence of fact.

Now, comes the really hard part. 

What will the judge do? How high will an initial bail setting be made - only to be reduced to a pittance a few days later. How long before this guy is released to the public being sternly told - no guns, no crime, and be well behaved? 

How much longer before another massive Police response has to be made only to get this guy again?

And then, what about the wife and kid?
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
hadn't been advised that the estranged husband was a homicidal maniac.

It's HOVE.. there's gotta be one around every corner.. at least that's what I would assume.

I have a friend that at one point decided he'd like to give the place a try. He bought two homes pretty close together thinking he'd rent one as a B&B and live in the other. And he went pretty much out of his mind trying to protect his investment. He said if he turned his attention elsewhere for a day anything not nailed down seemed to grow legs and walk away. He went to Kona for a weekend and came back to squatters living in his house. Who threatened him if he didn't leave.

Word is there's a homeless encampment or two.. or? on the flows outside of the grid., and the folks there come into the subdivision daily to round up whatever they want. And they're not screwing around.. people live in fear.

I know nothing, but I hear that kind of thing more often than not. Which makes homicidal maniacs seem par for the course.. they have to live somewhere, right?
(05-14-2024, 06:33 AM)MyManao Wrote: hadn't been advised that the estranged husband was a homicidal maniac.

It's HOVE.. there's gotta be one around every corner.. at least that's what I would assume.

I have a friend that at one point decided he'd like to give the place a try. He bought two homes pretty close together thinking he'd rent one as a B&B and live in the other. And he went pretty much out of his mind trying to protect his investment. He said if he turned his attention elsewhere for a day anything not nailed down seemed to grow legs and walk away. He went to Kona for a weekend and came back to squatters living in his house. Who threatened him if he didn't leave.

Word is there's a homeless encampment or two.. or? on the flows outside of the grid., and the folks there come into the subdivision daily to round up whatever they want. And they're not screwing around.. people live in fear.

I know nothing, but I hear that kind of thing more often than not. Which makes homicidal maniacs seem par for the course.. they have to live somewhere, right?
I hope this idiot was on drugs and isn't this crazy naturally.
Well now, how about this “wrinkle?”

Turns out our estranged husband and homicidal maniac didn’t even have real guns!

“On 05-12-2024 a search warrant was executed at the Alaoli Drive residence and detectives with the Area 2 Criminal Investigation Section (CIS) recovered 3 replica type firearms; Including a C02 operated AR-15 type pellet rifle, a wooden stocked, pump style pellet rifle and a toy handgun. The recovered replicas were consistent in appearance to what the female victim had described.”

https://www.hawaiipolice.com/5-14-24-upd...-ka%ca%bbu
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
(05-14-2024, 06:33 AM)MyManao Wrote: hadn't been advised that the estranged husband was a homicidal maniac.

[...]

Nice, you know nothing but claim there's a homicidal maniac around every corner.

OK then, if we take your points about the people in HOVE as being factual, such as:
  • "anything not nailed down seemed to grow legs and walk away"
  • "came back to squatters living in his house. Who threatened him if he didn't leave"
  • "there's a homeless encampment or two.. or?"
  • "and the folks there come into the subdivision daily to round up whatever they want"
  • "and they're not screwing around.. people live in fear."
  • "Which makes homicidal maniacs seem par for the course."
Then it must also be safe to say that these are the same people protesting the proposed Black Sand Development Project.

Which, now after reading your points about the people of HOVE, I understand this Civil Beat article which states:

""Monday’s hearing was marked by passionate testimony from scores of Kau residents, including Donna Pabre of Ocean View who said her family traces its roots to Punaluu. Pabre said she woke up at 4:30 a.m. to attend the hearing in Hilo and vowed to fight the project “at every corner, at every junction.”"

""If we don’t prevail, we will stand on the road and block you. We will call all of our people and make this another Mauna Kea,” Pabre said, referring to the controversy over the Thirty Meter Telescope project. “We have 17,000 people on the petition without even trying.”"

https://www.civilbeat.org/2024/05/propos...ky-shores/

Maybe by protesting, the squatting, robberies and taking whatever you want will subside as well as give the homeless camp or two something to look forward to doing and start letting the normal people live without fear.

Hopefully, the homicidal maniacs can control themselves too.
I think we can trim this down a bit because MyManao posted, "I know nothing" so he made everything up. It reminds me of Manuel in Fawlty Towers.

https://youtu.be/rNeM7mXdXwI?si=vqRx6Fu0bj0hIeLS
homicidal maniac didn’t even have real guns!

While prancing around with fake guns might allow him to bully a few residents on the back roads of HOVE, that could turn out to be a short term mode of operation, especially if he bumps into a police officer who has a split second to decide, “deadly threat or harmless idiot?”
Nice, you know nothing but claim..

You're so much fun Tom. You want a particular outcome so you filter things to fit your narrative. As it has always been, and why I "assume" that's your version of the scientific method. You certainly don't rely upon reason to draw your conclusions.. 

But hey, never you fear, I am sure nobody would want you any other way than just how you are. Worts and all.. 

As to that kind of lawlessness.. I don't think HOVE has the market cornered, not by a long shot. We've got all sorts of nooks and crannies hereabout filled with them..