Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relocating to Puna
I Get it. Thanks.

My teenage guests have been a delight. They have worked and played hard both. We managed to build a new pen successfully for pigs and I am now the proud mommy of three baby girl pigs. They appear to be happy in the new "digs". They are enthusiastically eating pig food, fresh fruit and veggies and drinking from our wonderfully designed and built watering system. The pigs names are Pinky, Nibbles and Smudge. The 14 year old, Sadie, managed to be the first to get them to eat directly from her hand. In addition to the planned foods, they appear to LOVE the fruit of the wild Wiwi plants. I imagine in a couple weeks I will have them pretty well trained as pets. We had intended to get an unrelated boar, but have decided to wait till next spring when we desire to breed them. By then we will have to expand the pigpens anyway.

The house is amazing. The trusses will arrive on Monday. Every day I see incredible progress and find myself smiling hapily as I walk the site.

Alex the gardner has caught up all the major projects and spent the day weeding the first half of the garden today. I ripped out some old plants and planted another full row of lettuce.

Met another new neighbor. He and his wife teach in Japan at a university and visit here three times a year. He owns a small house down the road.

Not much more news for now. I continue to encourage you all to get in touch and come by to see the progress.

Smile Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Hey Lamont, still working working working, and playing playing? The guests are home now and you've rested up right! So whats up on your relocating saga, your fan club asks!?!We'll be over in 28 days and can hardly wait to see the new piggy palace, check that they are being properly fattened and exercised in the piggy pool, and to see their unique watering system! Hope all goes well! Mella

mella l

Edited by - mella l on 09/02/2005 14:01:30
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Yes, I have been a little quiet, in asnwer to all your various emails. The Battaglia saga took somewind out of my sails. My youthful visitors actually rejouvenated me quite a bit. However, problems with the construction crew have also been unpleasant. One man quit. Another was fired. We have hired a local subcontractor to finish the framing job. He has his own crew but we have asked him to give the rest of our current workers a chance and he has happily agreed. We will see how they respond with stiff leadership.

As for progress, the trusses are 3/4 of the way up.. it is most exciting. The place looks huge one day, and the rooms seem too small the next.......I think my brain is shrinking or filling up with iced tea or something Smile

I am giving up my apartment and moving into the cabin myself to save on expenses. I have managed to get the tractor stuck in tme mudbog twice recently. This last time I had to call AAA for a tow. Of course, they wouldn't really tow the tractor but a smile and $20 got the driver to write it up as my Toyota Truck and do it anyway. Ahhh, cooperation.

The corn in the garden took a turn for the worse and has begun dieing with ears of corn only 3 or so inches long. However, the inventive city girl trying to go country harvested all the brown stalks, pulled out the tiny ears and fed them to the pigs. Yayyyyyyyy, I AM learning a few things while here. The pigpen is a fun spot. Billy cleaned it out yesterday morning and in the afternoon I filled it with half a bale of straw. They love that ... all nice and clean. They run around in circles and scratch in it. I sat in their little pig house and hand fed them, scracthing behind ears, etc... they are getting more comfortable with me each day. it's fun.

Bought a prime rib roast and had it sliced into 14 nice steaks. Having a BBQ tonight. Should be fun. You are all invited if you are here on island... rsvp 345-8440. Have "scored" a bathroom commode and sink thru freecycle on behalf of the Native American Center and will be driving to Kona side Saturday to pick them up. The newish Toyota Truck is a total dream. Loving it!!

So, in response to your requests, that is the scoop as of Thursday at 5:45 am here in Mt. View, Hawaii. I still look forward to seeing more of you coming to visit. Aloha and Mahalo for your interest in my project... and me!!

Smile Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Wow, the cabin is really coming along. I will be moving in and giving up the rental within two weeks. Today we got the Freecycle wooden louvered doors onto the closet and a french door in the upstairs opening so I can close the door!! Yayyyyy. Mud and rain and keeping the outdoor shower house moving slowly but it is moving none the less. Composting toilets next week.... oh, boy!

The main house construction staff has had its problems. We have now found a local to run the crew. I hope it will all settle down.

We expect to have the roof started going up in about two to three weeks (the new foreman says two but I know the weather...). There will be a blessing ceremony soon... about a week and you are all invited. I will post the date and time here as soon as I know.

Aloha... Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
New crew has begun and spirits are positive. It is a pleasure to walk onto the property and cruise over to the housesite. One of my greatest joys is to standdin the place where my bed will be, close my eyes for a moment, then open them and look out the window, saying to myself "this is the view I will see when I wake each morning". Wow... how exciting.

Yesterday I spent four (count them, FOUR) hours at Home Depot making a special order of Hansgrohe fixtures for the bathrooms. The staff was pleasant but S L O W. I do love the quality of the Hansgrohe, but would recommend that it would be better to order online. Home Depot charged me a $20 shipping fee for the whole order. Factoring that in, I would have saved hours and $$ ordering online. Had I only known... but at least I can share the information with all of you, just in case....

Keep giving me feedback and come see us soon.
Mahalo and Aloha Nui Loa.... Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Hi Pam,
Well, its been almost a year since you started this post! Were has the time gone!

Keep on posting!!!
David D

David and All... almost a year. I was just thinking that myself yesterday. If you had told me then that in a year I would not have a house I would not have believed it. My California Type A+ personality would have taken steps to prevent it. I certainly don't fool myself into thinking I have managed a Hawaii Time Mindset yet, but my friends acknowledge that I have moved down to a B+ so that is progress!! LOL

My angst of recent months was fed into by many issued from in internet harasser, my health, crew issues and finances. It is all settling down now and my angst is receeding...maybe I can really get over to a "type B" this year... ya think?

At least my daily priorities include things like feeding the pigs and chickens, weeding or planting in the garden, sleeping late at least one day a week. and standing in what will be my new home and breathing deeply, enjoying the moment. Thanks as always for your positive support. It means so much to me. You guys help keep me going.

Smile Hugs Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
It is Wednesday..... pouring rain... and it is lovely! The construction crew has accomplished more this week than the old crew did in two weeks with more workers. Yay. Things are looking good with trusses up and perlings going into place.

Looking good.... Smile Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
We are working out the details, but there will be a House Blessing ceremony at the ranch this weekend. You are all invited but please RSVP pslamont@yahoo.com so we can coordinate details. We are hoping for Saturday but still working on the minister from the local Hawaiian church. We are doing a whole pig in an IMU and you will be able to see the house just before the roof goes on.

I am sorry for being so busy lately but things ARE settling down and we are getting back on track. I will post the confirmed day and time as soon as it is confirmed. Hope you can join us.... ALOHA.

"Oh Crap, She's up!"