Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hawaii Decarbonization Settlement 2045
standing room only gives infinite per-seat efficiency gains Wink or stacking passengers like cord wood in narrow bunks.

Yes!
And don’t forget the possibility of passengers in the cargo hold.  Tickets priced by weight and dimensions, but WiFi is extra.  Must sign a waiver that you have no allergies as you might get stacked next to a dog or cat.
Of note on the efficiency math from the article: "The new plane promises to deliver an amazing 30% reduction in per seat fuel burn compared to previous generation planes." (emphasis mine)

Yes confounding math. The same math used to compute per capita numbers and posts per day!

At any event, I’d rather see the money spent into the development of battery powered aircraft such as this:

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Business/pass...=106223258

It’s disappointing that the article doesn’t mention charge times or power needs to recharge the batteries, but imagine all inter island air travel being replaced with planes like this! As well as all the other mainland short hops as well. All of which generally use older more carbon belching jets.
Sorry for the bump (unless you're into that sort of thing ;) but Grist has a pair of Hawai'i related articles out including -

A look at climate lawsuits from indigenous youth, including a discussion with Kaliko, who was both part of our decarbonization settlement and was impacted by the Lahaina fires on Maui, about kuleana and climate change.

Coverage on Molokai's move to renewables through community-based efforts like the Hoʻāhu solar co-op. "Fueled by grit, aloha ‘aina, and a quest for sovereignty, Molokaʻi’s path to energy independence stands as an illuminating model of community-driven change, especially for other remote and rural locales."

Good stuff for those interested in the topic IMHO.