Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good grinds?
Pog asks;
Snorkle,

Which ones do you like ?

5.99 for 1 slice of layed flat cheese, a tiny but of meat in the middle to look good cut in half, some lettuce on two slices of generic bread does not make a great sandwich IMO.

Not to mention the snooty tall Chinese lady who never says thank you as she tosses your ( politely handed to her ) card back on the counter.

Tried so many times as its convenient to run down there but tired of seeing her to this do all of us regular customers.

I like the chicken salad sandwich. Haven't been there in awhile as I pack my own lunch these days. Things may be different now, but I sure never had any problem with the service or the food.

I have found over the years that looking exactly like Natalie Portman elevates the level of service.
LOL snorkle.
Or should I say ------?
one plus one in strip mall next to office max best roast duck and chicken in town they roast the whole duck and chicken.

jrw
jrw
Manono Mini Mart sandwich counter fed me through college. haven't been there in a long time either, used to be tops. too bad if not now.
Bears Coffee - Under new management.Owned and run by a really nice wahine by the name of Mary.
Coffee is da best big island DARK coffee and free refills .
We particularly like the old fashioned bagel with hefty portions of cream cheese and can read the Hilo trib .Plus free wi-fi .
Help support a woman owned and run small business.We always leave a 2 dollar tip.
K'S Drive Inn, 50 years of tasty plate lunches, and ono breakfast menu.
Also must not forget to mention, Kauna'Oa Bar & Grill at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel,excellent food and drinks overlooking the white sand beach at Kauna'Oa Bay.
I like Gina's huli chicken wagon on Kilauea. They recently extended their hours, thank goodness!
So very few stellar places, but with their new venue, Hilo Bay Cafe for always spot on service & food

The Ponds on Kalanianaoli Hilo is a good place for that afternoon time most are closed, and they do utilize many local ingredients (Sturgeon Sunday with LOCAL sturgeon!) with a great view of Ice Pond
Seaside further down Kalanianaole is good for egret watching on their patio seating overlooking the pond where some of their fish comes from

this list is not stellar, but has a consistent quality that makes them many repeats for us (and a couple of them are patio dog friendly, which makes them Kiko favs...

PukaPuka Kitchen on Kamehameha (bayfront) Hilo- good lamb & curries
Dons Grill on Hinano Hilo- nothing spectacular, EXCEPT the service is always spot on & everything is always consistently prepared
Lucys on Kilauea Hio always boisterous, usually quick service & a good variety usually consistently prepared
Bears on Keawe in Hilo for souffled eggs (though do miss Terry's attitude...off putting at first, fun from there on)
Isles Cafe on Lihiwai in Hilo - take out their Friday Fish & Chips & eat it by the bay, or in Liliokalani Gardens - can be enough for 2
Tinas Garden & Chang Mai for Thai...I am bunching them together, as both have good food, Chang Mai has a better decor with their remodel (Full Moon seems to have changed enough that I am not as sure of them)

Spoonfuls in Keaau is a rarity in our area that is clean, nice decor & consistent nicely seasoned food with usually good service

Peles Kitchen in Pahoa is a great Sunday Morning breakfast spot

And there is always the Manta Ray Bar in Keauhou...well not for anything but their night time view..
Never had a bad meal at Cafe Pesto when splurging a bit.

Sky Garden at Imiloa for lunch mostly for the salad bar. Last time I had Prime Rib there was awesome (Fri nite)

Quit going to Ponds many months ago after they changed Chef's and food seemed to decline along with the service, but maybe they improved. The old chef was at Queen's Court last I knew when sampling Sunday brunch a while back.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident