Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava-survivable construction
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

My house may be as safe for lava as one can get. It will handle 2,000 degree heat without burning. My intention was not to withstand lava... by intention was to withstand a much more conventional threat - fire.

There are no towns in the country with a lava department. Every town has a fire department. All of us are at risk every day from common house fires. Mine will structurally survive a house fire. Most won't. But if lava surrounds my home I am screwed.

quote:
Originally posted by leilaniguy

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

My house may be as safe for lava as one can get. It will handle 2,000 degree heat without burning. My intention was not to withstand lava... by intention was to withstand a much more conventional threat - fire.

There are no towns in the country with a lava department. Every town has a fire department. All of us are at risk every day from common house fires. Mine will structurally survive a house fire. Most won't. But if lava surrounds my home I am screwed.

In this case, it seems something more portable would be more appropriate. since we have seen 20' plus inflation in the flow, your place may be under as you say. At least if it is portable you may have a second chance.

Built for ice but...

http://www.coolantarctica.com/Bases/mode...bases2.htm
The ancient Egyptians solved this problem thousands of years ago. Lava is rock, sand is rock, both move. Besides being a cool shape, the pyramids are more or less immune to the tides of moving rock. Sure, you might have to relocate your front door higher up on the pyramid if the lava comes around, but that's what stairs or ramps are for.
black basalt block pyramids ...now i'd like to see that for aesthetic reasons alone. badazz!
Better build those pyramids 3 stories high - - to allow for 20 feet of lava.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
3 stories? why bother! i was envisioning at least 8 to 10 ...bare minimum. a person ought to feel dwarfed in the presence of for the proper effect.
Better build those pyramids 3 stories high

You gotta go much bigger than that methinks.. I mean real BIG! Mauna Loa kine big brah! You're going to need to go thousands of feet if you want all your heirs to be happy.

A person ought to feel dwarfed in the presence of for the proper effect...

See, he's got the idea, just hasn't warmed up to the scale we do things hereabouts... yet.
Better build those pyramids 3 stories high

Better get started on a variance for the height restriction...
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

Built for ice but...

http://www.coolantarctica.com/Bases/mode...bases2.htm

I think this is the winner so far in the structures category.

Like the pyramids and the Bob house idea too (pretty much the same thing as each other) First 20 feet should be assumed lava will cover. Next 30 feet kind of depends, maybe put windows in that can be covered with a few feet of masonry as lava approaches. A tower at the top for access in case of up to 100 foot flows. The great pyramid turns into an underground bomb shelter.

They all need some kind of drop down ramp to raise when the lava comes and put back down again later.

Now just need to build that far underground water system and string up the self raising power poles.

JL
JL