Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is your favorite loco moco?
Fifteen dollars! (plus tax)

$14.95 is one dollar more than Hawaiian Style’s Spam Loco Moco and about the same as the Crab Cake Benedict at Ken’s. We’re heading into 2019 and everything is expensive. Cafe Pesto just started serving breakfast this summer.
quote:
Also sounds pretty good except the "oyster sauce" is really just a cheap Asian sauce loaded down with sugar and monosodium glutamate. Truly nasty stuff that has been approved for human consumption.
Unfortunately that's why your tongue tingles.

I've never had real oyster sauce, so how would I be able to tell whether or not their sauce is legit?

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
You can bet it's the legit MSG type. Go look in a supermarket. All varieties are loaded with that crap. Have to go to a health-food store to buy a type without. Or make your own from stock.
Oyster sauce without glutamate does not exist.Glutamate occurs naturally in oysters so your health food variety can only be advertised as "Contains no additional MSG".
From wikipedia:

It has been suggested that a fear of MSG may reflect anti-Asian racism, with MSG being seen as an "Oriental", alien arrival in Western cooking, likely to be dangerous.[20][21][22] Food critic Jeffrey Steingarten argued that fear of MSG should be seen as a Western-centric mindset, lacking awareness of its common use in Far Eastern cooking without apparent problems: "If MSG is a problem, why doesn't everyone in China have a headache?
Thanks, Obie! I learned something new today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamate_flavoring
I like this site :

https://www.foodinsight.org/myth-bust-ms...rgy-safety

I could post links to hundreds of sites that expose the myth about MSG.
It wouldn't be without precedent for one nation to be intolerant of a food while another enjoys it. For example: Americans love milk, but East-Asians are often lactose intolerant.
Lactose intolerance is a real thing and won't fail double-blind tests.
Egg, rice, beef, sprinkle seasonings .. fancy menu description .. that will be 15.00 please ... Suckers

Eta description