Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Finding an alternative road to Puna: Measure would fund surveys for possible routes
wondering if the Shipman people are trying to revive their plans for a new Kea'au town center

Exactly this -- but it's not a"revival", merely a very slow process, so slow it seems stopped. Development in Hawaii is a long game.

New Keaau will have "everything within walking distance" ... for the ("right") people who can afford homes therein. People from the subdivisions can just take highway 130; the congestion there isn't Shipman's problem
Backed up all the way from Ainaloa to Kaloli this afternoon.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
Kalakoa: New Keaau will have "everything within walking distance" ... for the ("right") people who can afford homes therein.

The plans I saw way back then had 'senior housing' as the big hook to get county/state/federal permits and monies for the rest of the development. There were numerous apartment buildings shown close to the park side, with the government and commercial entities on the side closest to the industrial park. Have you seen/heard of changes that would ditch the senior housing for a 'regular' subdivision? I'm much more interested in potential senior housing in Puna now than I was then - the thought of someone else being responsible for cutting the grass brings a smile to my face and hope to my aching back (!).
Gotta love the headline in the HTH:

Puna access road bill advances for ‘ongoing discussion’
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/202...iscussion/

So a bill that will fund discussions about a Puna access road, can be discussed further before it may, or may not become a bill.
" . . . discussed further before it may, or may not become a bill." - HereOnThePrimalEdge

Yes, and apparently quite a bit of discussion is anticipated because they gave it an expiration date in 2050.  Oh, and at least one legislator mentioned that there's no money.  Don't hold your breath.