Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELLco's Third World power system failure
How about I buy a Tesla Powerwall for just over $12,000 and use that for my backup power.

You don't need a $60,000 car for backup power.

I can configure the power wall to charge in the afternoon when power is cheap using everyone else's solar.

My electric load is low enough that 1 powerwall can run my 220 volt well pump and my air-conditioning for a day and 1/2.
But you canʻt drive the Powerwall to the store.
"But you canʻt drive the Powerwall to the store."

I'm a gearhead and I restore collector cars. They run on gasoline.
(03-17-2023, 11:17 PM)kalianna Wrote: But you canʻt drive the Powerwall to the store.

Don't tempt him...

Those Barrett Jackson type collectormobiles will require $100+ per gallon fuel eventually, no?

I mean, what will the niche fossil fuel market eventually look like as it would relate to classic car collectors?

Gas doesn't store well and since there will be demand, someone will want to supply. Will Uncle Sam allow for some pollution wiggle room?

Or does a 1963 split window stingray end up a silent ghost of yesteryear?

P.S., Dodge says their electric Charger will have copious amounts of artificial engine and exhaust noise for occupants and bystanders alike...
Even some dino fuel cars now have piped in noise ..Soooooo Lame.

And while impressive #s for HP EV. the high pitch whine sounds like a little girl, same same for some here.

We will always have gas and diesel,,, ya know, to make magic power for your Greta cars and emergency services + military to save, serve and protect us. Coal is life. Get over it.

God, forbid, You might even need to call them in emergency BC something happen while you were using ur sole transpo to keep ice cream from melting and now not enough to get to urgent care or hospital. Prioritys riiight ?? Shoots. Imagine hearing >>> We will be there ASAP, we are waiting for the vehicles to charge ..Oh wait, theres a pesky brown / black out happened ..How inconvenient..lol.

Pretty sure anyone with big investment that could be messed up also thinks ahead and has a smart, back up. Don't think neighbors would mind noise either during this time. Happy also if you offer them a cord. Ya know be we are all in this together.

Side note, I could not believe how fast diesel generator went from dormant to full speed in less than a second one day at my bank just as power kicked off from accident. Awesome !!!!

Speaking of cords / gens,, here is a really perfect Headlight to use in the dark while plugging in and gassing up. Orrr just going to bed early and reading a book. Put down the internet and be happy for fate deciding u get extra sleep.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/products/f...e-headlamp

Happy St. Patrick's Day ya _
Someone doth protest too much, methinks.

My brother got some solar PV and a powerwall a few years ago, in Nu'uanu. His power bill is usually whatever the minimum is. He does wish that he had gotten two powerwalls right away though as there is some fussing around with the electric water heater, turning it on at the right time in the afternoon, then sometimes running out of hot water. If he simply had the battery capacity that would all be invisible.

Kinda crazy that it is not a deal breaker to just stick with the old electric resistance water heater.

Me being in the wilds of Puna with plenty of space and few nosy neighbors, I often contemplate batch-style (water tank in a glazed box) water heaters to pre-heat water before the electric resistance heater that uses excess solar PV power, finishing up with a propane tank style that guarantees usably hot water but uses little propane. When I do the math though for the same money and less labor I can just buy a couple more kW of PV. It being Eden Roc I will always have to have a propane water heater and a generator around for the cloudiest days and spending any extra money on PV will heat the water simply on good days and reduce generator usage on bad days.
More fun to make the boxes though yeah ??! Gimble and Double glaze too ! ha
"Those Barrett Jackson type collectormobiles will require $100+ per gallon fuel eventually, no?"

Eventually the "dirty" fuels will be stigmatized and further taxed to subsidize whatever agenda our masters will be pushing on us. Like tobacco, it will be increasingly taxed and made more difficult to obtain until most people have no choice but to give up using it. But considering Europe's dramatic 180 degree turn back towards fossil fuels in the last year, I don't think it will be anytime soon.
+1 ^^^ and ffs, stop selling our Strategic Reserves.
I found this post by portpogparking from 100 years ago;

Hello-ha freinds & niebhors!  I have a livery stable where you can tie up your horses when you take a boat trip from Hilo harbor to other islands!  Don’t get on that newfangled Hawaiian Air Plane when you travel, those things will just fall from the sky!  And don’t drive that noisy fumey auto mobile when a horse is far better.  Did you know auto mobiles will wear out & you got to buy another?  Horses make more horses. Do they think we’re stupid?  And horses eat grass, easily available anywhere on the islands.  Gas oline has to be shipped in from thousands & thousands miles away.  What if they don’t send any?  I can still ride my horse but you can only travel downhill.  You better only live in Volcano or Mountain View.  Ha ha.  And auto mobile tires get holes and get flat, not like good hard horse hoofs.  

That stuff will never catch on.