Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jet flying over HPP for last half hour at 4:00 am
People Magazine noted their story came from a source, apparently HNN. It appears to have been poorly rewritten by People, or maybe with assistance from an AI Chat program.
Here’s the quote which they bungled:

“I had to get a raft to her. They didn’t have a flotation device. I got the raft out to her, and I said, OK, let’s get a rope to her so she doesn’t drift away, and they said, ‘Oh, we don’t have any rope.’

.. said after an hour of watching his girlfriend cling to the raft, the rescue boat and helicopter still hadn’t come, so he ran to get fins to swim out himself, but when he came back, the first responders had lost sight of her.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2024/02/21...-response/

So he never went in the water at all. Which makes far more sense.
I would like to see someone jump in and swim out here and then get back out of the water.

Not happening.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I didn't think to look it up on that night... But the waves were 6ft the other night.

Yeah, getting back out wouldn't happen..
From the newspaper article:

"Gapp said he climbed the fence of a neighboring house that had a swimming pool, took a pool raft, threw it in the water — and that Reyes climbed aboard when the current carried the raft to her."

He never said anything about going out there himself, the current allegedly took the raft to her.
He never said anything about going out there himself,

It’s from the quote in People Magazine (see previous page of thread)
he swam out to where his girlfriend was clinging to a raft, per the outlet.
As Paul Harvey would say, “And now, the rest of the story!”

https://bigislandnow.com/2024/02/26/hawa...aau-woman/
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
Thereʻs nothing new in this story.  The rest of the story is what the heck were they doing out there at 2AM and how did someone who lived here and knew the terrain manage to fall in?
(02-27-2024, 07:59 AM)kalianna Wrote: Thereʻs nothing new in this story.  The rest of the story is what the heck were they doing out there at 2AM and how did someone who lived here and knew the terrain manage to fall in?

How do you know she knew the terrain?
what the heck were they doing out there at 2AM and how did someone who lived here and knew the terrain manage to fall in?

There are plenty of people on the cliffs at night. Hard to say what they’re doing, but it’s clearly for different reasons. The black lava rock is hard to differentiate from the dark ocean at night, and the shoreline is uneven both vertically and horizontally. She could have stepped in a low spot and tumbled forward or stubbed her toe on a high spot and fell forward. When you walk along the edge there are many protrusions and indentations, cracks, etc. There’s probably only two people who know the whole story and one is gone.

Unfortunately this is far from the first time it’s happened & probably isn’t the last.
TomK, she knew the terrain because, according to the Trib, she lived nearby in HPP.