Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5-13-24 Ocean View Man Arrested Following Barricaded Standoff in Kaʻū
Worts and all..

I don’t think insulting someone with a beer making term cuts as deep as you might think. You’re in Puna after all.
HOTPE:
...I don’t think insulting someone with a beer making term cuts as deep as you might think...

Lol!
"Ale" agree, you got that right! :-D

I, too, am a stickler for proper spelling and grammar. Those are sorely lacking in today's world.

(However, I am not above making a bad pun, ha.)
A beer making term?

You're funny Edge. Not as cute as Tom's newest pet but you did serve in your day.. 

From.. https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/warts-and-all.html

‘Warts and all’ means the whole thing; not concealing the less attractive parts.

This phrase ‘warts and all’ is said to derive from Oliver Cromwell’s instructions to the painter Sir Peter Lely, when commissioning a painting.

At the time of the alleged instruction, Cromwell was Lord Protector of England. Lely had been portrait artist to Charles I and, following the restoration of the monarchy in 1660, he was appointed as Charles II’s Principal Painter in Ordinary.

Lely’s painting style was, as was usual at the time, intended to flatter the sitter. Royalty in particular expected portraits to show them in the best possible light, if not to be outright fanciful. Lely’s painting of Charles II shows what was expected of a painting of a head of state in the 17th century. It emphasizes the shapely royal calves – a prized fashion feature at that time.

Cromwell did have a preference for being portrayed as a gentleman of military bearing, but was well-known as being opposed to all forms of personal vanity. This ‘puritan Roundhead’ versus ‘dashing Cavalier’ shorthand is often used to denote the differences in style of the two opposing camps in the English Commonwealth and subsequent Restoration. It is entirely plausible that he would have issued a ‘warts and all’ instruction when being painted and it is unlikely that Lely would have modified his style and produced the ‘warts and all’ portrait of Cromwell unless someone told him to.

---

And hey, don't you think Tom has some pretty impressive worts?
(05-15-2024, 09:57 PM)MyManao Wrote: A beer making term?..
You used the word wort instead of wart, so someone made a joke out it.   No big deal.  I found your account of HOVE interesting.  

That area certainly has a bad rep.  I've never known anyone living there. 

I do know someone in Kula Kai, the gated subdivision makai of the highway.  It sounds much better, except still dry and windy.
You used the word wort instead of wart

Ah, my bad.. another senior moment for sure.. thx
"Not as cute as Tom's newest pet but you did serve in your day"

"Ah, my bad.. another senior moment for sure.."

Well, I see that as the spelling abilities dwindle in your old age, your misogyny continues to run/runs rampant!
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
(05-15-2024, 05:40 PM)MyManao Wrote: But hey, never you fear, I am sure nobody would want you any other way than just how you are. Worts and all.. 

As to that kind of lawlessness.. I don't think HOVE has the market cornered, not by a long shot. We've got all sorts of nooks and crannies hereabout filled with them..

It's been a long time since I last brewed my beer, but I always did it legally. And even worse, you can't even get snide comments right.
Well, about par for the course for Hawaii. “Despite objections from prosecutors.”

Interesting that the news article doesn’t mention him having to surrender his pellet and toy guns?!?

Anywho….. back to original programming!

https://bigislandnow.com/2024/05/16/man-...m-custody/
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
(05-15-2024, 11:51 PM)Durian Fiend Wrote: That area certainly has a bad rep.  I've never known anyone living there. 

I've only been to HOVE once recently, and even that was about a year ago.  Interesting experience.  In a way, seeing really nice homes next to "tarp living" people reminded me of Puna, then we went a long stretch without seeing any structures or people, then out of nowhere, a dirty, skinny, mostly naked man burst forth from the bushes and started walking across the road without looking or showing any care in the world.  Of course I slowed down to avoid a collision and told the wife... "Look!  It's Methsquatch!  Quick... take a blurry picture!"  I was pretty amused with myself, her not so much.  

Our acquaintance out there was building a cabin and about 3/4 the way through decided the area wasn't for him.  The exclamation point on that decision was when he came home to his cabin and found that people, or at least a person, had been inside of it!  He didn't have anything of value in there, in fact it was mostly empty. I guess to express their frustration with having nothing to steal they decided to leave him something on the mattress in the loft.  I don't want to gross anybody out so I won't describe what it was.

Oh, who am I kidding... geezers just spout things without choosing their words carefully:  It was a pile of crap.  Excrement.  Human feces.  With flies buzzing around and everything.  Okay, to be honest he never mentioned the flies but whoever gifted the glistening mattress monument certainly was living on the wild side like those kids in Lord of the Flies.  Having unwelcome strangers in the cabin wasn't the exclamation point so much as the feral declaration of dominance left behind.

So anyways, when I think of HOVE, unfortunately Methsquatch and flies are what come to mind.  I'm sure it's a much nicer place to live than what this post describes, and for that, I'm sorry I don't have a nice rainbow and kittens story to sort of balance things out and not leave the mental palate with such a lingering stench.
Thanks terracore for that informative detail!

I’ve had a running theory on this issue of humans who like to leave their poop behind somewhere as a “tribute” or some type of an “I was here” message and even some who leave their stinking pile of the last few days of their food consumption as some type of ritual.

I believe that this “showmanship” of defecation is in reality, the outcome of the measurement of the defacator’s actual intelligence versus their perceived intelligence. 

Now, if we use the dear leader(s) of a certain country whom is claimed to be so highly intelligent that he neither has a need to urinate or defecate as our baseline, I’m sure you can see the connection to my theory here. 

After all look right here. Your friends find in his under construction house, to the poop left in the new house/wrong lot in HPP to - heck even the ones where the distance between their actual intelligence over their perceived intelligence was the greatest, found it not only necessary to leave their poop behind but found it necessary to  also spread it on the walls and furniture of the US Capitol on January 6th, 2021.

If you want to prove me wrong, please only shit in an appropriate manner. Or become the dear leader of some communist country!