Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geothermal relocation plan on hold due to lava
Ironyak

Thanks for proving my point.It is indeed possible for a someone to be killed onsite at a geothermal plant.The examples you have provided were all in enclosed spaces at geothermal plants.

A geothermal steam release doesn't contain enough H2S to cause a knockdown and death offsite.If you could capture the release and concentrate it into an enclosed space you could be killed but that isn't what happened.It was released to the atmosphere where it quickly dissipated.

leilanidude - I was at a friends place in Leilani when it happened and although the winds were not at 70mph they were at least 35+mph. This place I was at, BTW, was not that far from Mike Hale's. None of were "gassed".

Good to hear - hopefully you were as fortunate with the falling trees as well! Thoughts on if the H2S levels may be more or less for different areas or that people may have differing sensativity?

When we go up to Volcanoes NP we have to check the SO2 levels as my wife is more sensative than average. Even given the same age, diet, and lifestyle, we can be in the same car and having very different experiences of the air quality and its effects.

Obie - It was released to the atmosphere where it quickly dissipated.

Agree with leilanidude about the not 70mph wind speeds during the H2S release? Perhaps OSHA info can provide some consensus to work from.

https://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/data_Hurrica...e_fact.pdf
"Hydrogen sulfide is heavier than air and may travel along the ground. It collects in low-lying and enclosed, poorly-ventilated areas..."

Agree with this or not? Are there other explanations of the event, besides your own, that may be possible?