Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frequency of electricity outages
I consider my investment in solar power as sort of a selfish thing. Pollution was generated somewhere else so I could enjoy energy independence. I am hoarding energy.
Hmmm... I swear I posted a couple of times to this thread since first post, but can't find them. Maybe they went to the same place my house keys go all the time.

TomK - when it gets to the point that you even think of keeping a log, there's a problem!

Also, didn't say that I'm in HPP and the outages are usually short-lived, from one minute to 20 min's.
Been off grid (solar) for since November 2005, will never go back. I hear about power outages from others. We've had exactly one unexpected outage (equipment failure) in all that time. Not paying a monthly bill is part of the reason, not dependent on burning fossil fuels is part of the reason, but the big reason we are off grid is because we rely on only ourselves for our electricity.

Some think we huddle around candles at night and hand wash our clothes. In reality we do what most do I think, watch TV, use our washing machine for laundry, warm foods in our microwave oven. Ya we have a generator for cloudy weeks, it runs from time to time, but not much, I'd say under $20/mo in fuel. It works well - not for everyone certainly, but plugging in to the power line - you have to know its not going to be an on-all-the-time service.

Living the good life - off the grid in Puna
Living the good life - off the grid in Puna