Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harry Kim Opts out of pre-travel test program
United doesn't restart service to Hilo until December 1st.
(10-10-2020, 05:11 PM)Welch Wrote: I just saw this. It sounds like chaos in the making but it will get us there.
Evidently, currently, there are no non-stop trans-Pacific flights into Hilo negating the need for the second test there.

So people traveling to Hilo with a connection in Honolulu don't have the option of opting out of quarantine with a second test, or a second test for them isn't required to skip it?
So now all islands will participate in the pre testing program that starts Thursday. Maui and Kauai will also drop the interisland quarantine with a valid negative test result. Harry Kim still opting out the Big Island on inter-island travel.

Does anyone really want to go through all this to fly here?

https://bigislandnow.com/2020/10/13/all-...U.facebook
Nonrefundable accomodations (no longer quarantine friendly) say "YES!". Sigh. I'd be much more comfortable waiting but not at the loss of my investment.
State pre-clearance if for out-of-state arrivals, then separate County pre-clearance for in-state or out-of-state arrivals, both of which admit they won't catch everyone.

"You gotta turn on the garden hose to find out where the leaks are."
(10-14-2020, 02:00 AM)macuu222 Wrote: So now all islands will participate in the pre testing program that starts Thursday. Maui and Kauai will also drop the interisland quarantine with a valid negative test result. Harry Kim still opting out the Big Island on inter-island travel. 

Does anyone really want to go through all this to fly here?

https://bigislandnow.com/2020/10/13/all-...U.facebook

Article says "Hawai‘i County has not yet agreed to participate." That's a bit softer than opting out. I bet he changes his tune.  Article also says secondary testing will be available at all three Big Island airports, so Hilo is a go for mainland folks.
Emergency Council meeting tomorrow 14 October, 1pm.

Apparently they're going to demand answers from Mayor Kim about ... changing his tune.
Wouldn't it be funny if after all the indecision, waffling, angst, bad planning, finger pointing, and hand wringing nobody comes? Or hardly anybody? It could happen.
Roughly 1 billion people have traveled by plane since the beginning of 2020, and just 44 coronavirus cases were confirmed among them, according to the results of a recent study.

"One of the things about air travel that people need to know...over a billion people have traveled by air this year, over 1 billion," said Ed Bastian, CEO at Delta Air Lines, during an appearance on CNBC's Squawk on the Street Tuesday morning. "There's only been 44 documented cases of suspected COVID transmission amongst those billion, and virtually all of those happened in the early weeks of the pandemic."

Hey
I'm a retired airline employee and I can fly for free on my airline that I retired from.

I could fly to Oahu from Hilo, spend the day and avoid quarantine by flying to Los Angeles from Honolulu and fly back to Kona by getting tested.

I can get a test 72 hours before my return trip to Kona and while I'm in Los Angeles I can party like a fool and come back and infest everyone.
That's because it takes at least a couple of days from exposure to be detected by a covid 19 test. But why take the chance and party after the test? If it's caught  upon arrival testing in Kona...your vacation will be from your hotel room.  I think Hawaii is in a precarious position where "Their damned if they do and their damned if they don't".