Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Puna Makai Route “Soon”
@HOTPE: I don't know the answer to all your questions, but I can answer some, although I'm pretty sure you're smart enough to already know. And since you brought up the railroad, my tirade on that subject and PMAR follows.

1. DHHL as we know it originated with an act of the U.S Congress in the early 1920s, so yes, it was the oppressors who set it all up. The state took over upon admission in 1959. Seems to have been all downhill from there.

2. Yes, the railroad was indeed built long before there was DHHL.

3. As best as I can figure out from contemporary accounts and what county officials described at PMAR meetings held by HPP around 2012, the railroad right of way was perceived as a liability for the remnant holding company and abandoned by quitclaim to the surrounding and adjacent land owners. In some cases, such as the gulch trestles north of Hilo and where the right of way was needed for road improvements, it was given to the county and/or state for nothing.

Now before everyone jumps up and yells "Aha!," this is not necessarily precedent for using the old railroad for PMAR. After sitting through hours of meetings between HPP, County Planning, and one brief visit by a state DOT guy, the only thing that everyone agreed on was that Railroad Ave is the great red herring of PMAR options, i.e. far from the best one. Railroad meanders across HPP intersecting the subdivision trunk roads and numbered roads eight times, versus three times for a transit anywhere below 22nd. More intersections equals more collisions. Also, Railroad is much longer and thus more costly to build, plus it has many more built on properties to be bought out.

Twelve years later, igorant politicians still look at a map and say, "Just run it down Railroad." Why am I not surprised?

My own opinion is that we need an Alternate Route and that it should pass somewhere makai of Railroad, but above the tsunami line. Even Shipman has shown some inclination toward this as a way of not disrupting the agricultural leases along their stretch of Railroad.

But as kalakoa so succinctly put it, "It's not as if the PMAR was ever going to be built."
HOTPE, No problem. FYI, only one council member responded to my e-mail - Ashley Kierkiewicz.
(01-25-2024, 11:16 PM)ChunksterK Wrote: 3.  As best as I can figure out from contemporary accounts and what county officials described at PMAR meetings held by HPP around 2012, the railroad right of way was perceived as a liability for the remnant holding company and abandoned by quitclaim to the surrounding and adjacent land owners.  In some cases, such as the gulch trestles north of Hilo and where the right of way was needed for road improvements, it was given to the county and/or state for nothing.

Just a small point of history.. 

The Hawai'i Consolidated Railway, who owned the train system when it went under, didn't just give it to gov.. but rather..

From https://www.thetrainmuseum.com/history.html

But the end was near for the Hawai'i Consolidated Railway. Early in the morning of April 1, 1946, a massive tsunami struck Hawai'i. A tragic loss of life occurred in several low-lying areas of  the island chain, the east side of Hawaii island were hit the worst. The railroad line between Hilo and Pa'auilo suffered massive damage; bridges collapsed, trestles tumbled, and one engine was literally swept off the tracks.

The expensive option of rebuilding the railway was rejected. Hawai'i Consolidated offered the rights-of-way, tracks and remaining bridges, trestles and tunnels to the Territory of Hawaii, but the offer was refused, and finally the company sold the entire works to the Gilmore Steel and Supply Company for $81,000. Shortly thereafter, realizing its terrible error, the Territory bought it all back for $302,723.53! Much of the current highway follows the route of the old railroad, five original railroad trestles have been converted into highway bridges.

While the tsunami destroyed the Hamakua side and was never repaired, and the financial blow ended the Hawai'i Consolidated Railway, the southern routes were taken over by the sugar companies, and ownership folded into their lands, and later given up in favor of trucking across government roads.
the southern routes were taken over by the sugar companies, and ownership folded into their lands

If the land and tracks were simply given away, it probably wouldn’t have taken much effort, almost no effort at all for territorial government officials to take possession of the route, and lease it to the sugar companies for a $1 a year.  Then, after the sugar companies stopped using the tracks, and stopped growing sugar there would be a route from Puna to Hilo ready for building a highway.  No asking or begging required.

Of course 20-20 hindsight is sharper than looking into the future, but still it seems very little would have been required for the territory to take possession.

As Chunkster pointed out, Railroad Ave may not be the best route, but at least it would be a viable option.
Iʻm not sure how it would be viable. Railroad is a residential street. If a highway were to be built there it would be going right in front of and right behind dozens of homes. Same with Beach Rd. I think the residents there would not be pleased about this.
the residents there would not be pleased

Is there a route with no residents?
Tunnel underneath it all. A tunnel all the way into Hilo..
"Is there a route with no residents?"
Aye, thatʻs the rub. And part of the reason it makes no sense to fund the study, which no matter what decision is eventually made, would be contested by those who are directly affected, assuming the county would ever fund this proposed road, which just ainʻt gonna happen.
Aye, thatʻs the rub.

If only DHHL had land that stretched from Hilo to Pahoa.  They’d already have built a 6 lane toll road with curbs, sidewalks, and fiber optic cable that has wireless connectivity the entire route.  And a DHHL Streaming service.  Tax free cigarette stands along the road, and a couple of Uncle Robert’s franchise locations.
Bill 131 has been floated by Councilwoman Kierkiewicz to salvage the receipt of the state funds for a PMAR route study. The first reading will be heard by the council's finance committee on February 6th.