Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohia trees are dying rapidly, Why?
Obie, again thanks for your link.

Did any of that vast amounts of logging from over a hundred years ago cause a fungus mutation like the ROD?

If a Fungus mutation like ROD did occur back in 1909, Would the Nation of Hawaii have done a study on or around the logging area?
Today we have a new fungus ROD outbreak that has started on, near or around an experimental geothermal power plant in a rain forest area with no study on the possible connection from the state.
If some exotic fungus arrived as ROD in Puna it was most likely on some travelers shoes who had recently been in Asia, Africa or S. America. Think about it.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
If the ROD was in one of those areas of the world prior to Puna then we would have heard about it during this ROD outbreak. All we hear is that the ROD is a new never been seen, documented or identified anywhere else in the world fungus. Did folks from Asia,Africa or S. America ever travel to Puna before this past decade or did Puna just recently start getting visitors from those parts of the world??
Just because you want something to be true doesn't make it true. But don't let that stop you from just making stuff up and bothering us with it.
I hope you're enjoying freezing your taters off back on the mainland, where you come from.
Gypsy

It was described in 1890.Hardly a new fungus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratocystis_fimbriata
Obie, mahalo for the info.

Interesting thought here;; Maybe someone in the lower Puna area had a bunch of sweet potatoes that were rotting with a form of fungus. They then may have moved or replanted these fungus infected sweet potatoes around some of their Ohia trees. After some extended time the fungus mutation (ROD) may have occurred and started to affect the Ohia trees. jmo

PaulW, the family and I are watching a snow flurry through the window as i write. The area and weather change has actually been very nice and welcomed. The many Schools and opportunities are far better here than what Puna had to offer. I may need to thank you PaulW for your Baltimore MD advice when I was asking PWeb for opinions on places to move a family some time back. The secret to adjusting to the colder temps this time of year is dress with LAYERS, especially if heading outside to play in the snow. jmo
You mean the same opportunities which you tirelessly sought to deny to Puna residents during your stay here by opposing any and all progress?
Glad it's working out for you (so you stay away from here), though I must admit I said Baltimore because I couldn't think of a worse place to move to.

Meanwhile in Hawaii it's another glorious sunny warm day.
PaulW, you always are so full of vile negative energy.
May I try your game Mam?
PaulW, Would you be a police officer in Puna by chance?
I only ask you because I couldn't think of a worse place to be an "Overpaid unproductive" cop than in Puna flagging traffic or chasing (never catching) the ever elusive weed growing Rastafarians, Ice heads and meth addicts. May the Christmas spirit be with you PaulW and please Continue to have fun and patience spending most your time waiting in long lines at Walmart, Malama and the social security office behind folks that celebrate the 12 EBT holiday's a year more than Christmas. No offense intended to anyone here on PW other than maddam Paulie herself. jmo's.

"I only ask you because I couldn't think of a worse place to be an "Overpaid unproductive" cop than in Puna flagging traffic or chasing (never catching) the ever elusive weed growing Rastafarians, Ice heads and meth addicts. May the Christmas spirit be with you PaulW and please Continue to have fun and patience spending most your time waiting in long lines at Walmart, Malama and the social security office behind folks that celebrate the 12 EBT holiday's a year more than Christmas."

Tell us what you really think! Good riddance to bad rubbish.
O.K I will tell you what i think since you asked Paulie. You indeed are an overpaid PIG in Puna. I bet you can't surf, paddle canoe or make your own musubi. Your a lost cause in hawaii who probably has no connection to the remaining Hawaiian culture. I would also bet you have been divorced at least once with the only thing left from your past relationships being Child support. How close am I Soldier?