Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kahauale'a II flow moving toward Pahoa again.
Does anyone know where to find a clearer version of the map at the end of the video that Opihikao posted? Seems like it should be posted on line somewhere. Thanks to Opihikao and CSGray for posting the great info, btw.
Very detailed USGS topo maps are available here according to the site:

http://www.basicallybooks.com/mltopos.html

Welcome to Basically Books! We are a family-owned independent bookstore located in historic downtown Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii, facing beautiful Hilo Bay.

Store Hours
Monday thru Saturday: 9:00am-5:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am-3:30pm
Contact Information
Phone: (808) 961-0144
Toll-Free: 1-800-903-MAPS
Fax: (808) 935-1553
Email: bbinfo@hawaiiantel.net
OK, maybe I wasn't clear. Is there a better on line version of the computer-generated volcanic flow probability map that the scientist showed rather fuzzily on the screen near the end of the video posted by Opihikao? I own several fine USGS topographic maps which I bought at Basically Books, thank you.
Vancouver Island, The chances of LAVA actually hitting your home is slim. Tho if the lava crosses 130 you won't be able to get to your home in a long while so unless your insurance covers evacuation for LONG periods of time. Maybe abandonment insurance? Lava insurance would be the same as fire insurance. Since your house will burn down 10-15' before the lava will get to it. Tho, good luck providing that to your insurance company.
quote:
Originally posted by ericlp

Vancouver Island, The chances of LAVA actually hitting your home is slim. Tho if the lava crosses 130 you won't be able to get to your home in a long while so unless your insurance covers evacuation for LONG periods of time. Maybe abandonment insurance? Lava insurance would be the same as fire insurance. Since your house will burn down 10-15' before the lava will get to it. Tho, good luck providing that to your insurance company.

ericlp: I'm not concerned too much about my house at this stage (back half of Eden Roc). However, it might be a good idea for those in Ainaloa and HPP to take the time to check their policies and find out what kind of evidence they'd need to prove it caught fire before the lava contacted it. I've heard rumours you need to take video for some insurers to cover it. I think those of us who have been following this issue closely are aware that it's still a bit of a long shot that the flow will last long enough to get into occupied areas.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
quote:
Originally posted by ericlp

Although, in the early days of this eruption, homeowners could collect on their fire insurance if they could show that the home ignited before it was touched by the lava, I don't think that is the case any more unless you have a special rider against lava flow damage. "Once burned, twice shy" holds for insurance companies as well...
What you want to check for is insurance for "rolling fire".
I believe the exposure to the insurance companies would be by zone - at least they adjust their rates according to risk (my other place asigned risk fire coverage) high fire risk - like having a dui

compare the rates from zone 1 to zone 5 to catch my drift.

as far as not paying out - there is a move to solve that issue to standardising consumer contracts

not everyone having access to lawyers to review each and every insurance contract.
When I recently bought State Farm homeowners insurance, I questioned them about this, and I was told the house was covered against lava damage. That I didnt need to do anything special or extra. I am still a bit skeptical, because I have heard various other stories, but this is what I was told.
"Them" being the agent or underwriter? big difference in goals...and responsibility