Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geminid Meteor Shower Sunday
Clouding up over here, Orion visible overhead. Maybe 10% sky visible here.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK
I wanted to explain more...

I understand Tom. Hopefully UKIRT doesn't get shut down before I get my house built in HPP and we get a chance to shake hands.

Nice show right now from HS. My dogs think I lost my mind. Back to bed.
Thanks HOTPE!
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

If you don't mind me asking, where are you watching the night sky, Mr NG?

A couple miles north of Hilo.

Maybe I'll buy a piece of Puna someday when I can afford it[Big Grin]
Mtn View was all clear last night around midnight. Saw about 10 in 10 minutes or so. Really nice show.
Caught a pretty good show from Ka'u desert. Crystal clear moonless sky with a wide open view of a thick field of shimmering, twinkling stars. Probably averaged 3-5 per minute around 2 a.m.
Watched from 11:15 to about 12:30 then it clouded up. Saw about 40 or so during that time. Some were pretty spectacular.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
That's a pretty impressive rate, PM2. The CFHT cloudcam caught a few of the meteors as well before the fog rolled in:

http://goo.gl/a1OAY1
TomK, it could very well be that I unscientifically overestimated a bit there. ...though probably not by too much. Conditions were excellent. We could see the fainter meteors that otherwise might normally be missed. We could see two or three meteors in quick succession fairly frequently. We enjoyed ourselves.
For anyone with a clear sky tonight, there should still be quite a few meteors. The Geminids is a wide trail of particles and although the peak has passed, there should still be plenty of shooting stars and if you're lucky, the odd fireball (bolide).