Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nissan Leaf Battery Replacement Alternative To Dealer?
Everyone missing the bigger picture: while EVs may produce fewer emissions, they don't address the problems created by mismanaged growth -- there are too many cars for the available road capacity, not just in Puna but everywhere in Hawaii.

Battery recycling will not solve this problem. More charging stations and more solar panels will not solve this problem either.
(08-04-2022, 12:39 PM)kalakoa Wrote: Everyone missing the bigger picture: while EVs may produce fewer emissions, they don't address the problems created by mismanaged growth -- there are too many cars for the available road capacity, not just in Puna but everywhere in Hawaii.

Battery recycling will not solve this problem. More charging stations and more solar panels will not solve this problem either.
Therefore, too many people?  The number of cars is a storage problem.  Road capacity is only affected by how many are actually in use at any given time.
A population of (40K? 45K?) at the end of the World's Largest Cul-de-Sac.

I guess zero emissions while parked on 130 is an improvement, but it does seem like solving the wrong problem.
The other side of the coin for ya. Lots of stats.

https://www.manhattan-institute.org/mine...lity-check
More like the other side of the corporate fossil fuel industry $100 bill:

the Manhattan Institute for Public Policy…
"shine a little light on the web of… phony climate denial. This web of denial, formed over decades, has been built and provisioned by the deep-pocketed Koch brothers, by ExxonMobil, by Peabody coal, and by other fossil fuel interests. 
(08-04-2022, 04:14 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: The average car emits 6 to 9 tons of carbon each year.  

Back when gasoline contained lead.

Cars and trucks spewed lead contamination across the world.

Out their tail pipes.

The things we complain about today, are thankfully smaller.

Hopefully the trend will continue.
Sooo You didn't read it HOTPE.

This is a very good write up on behind the scenes of things concerning EV bats, Green Energy and bringing them to the fore.

Factual, real world, open minded info for the present realities of making bats and Wind Turbines + some food for thought moving forward.

Its a deep dive and well organized. It might be too much truth for some here.

Thanks Rob for letting me post this up. I appreciate receiving a little leeway on this.

aloha,'e
(08-03-2022, 09:26 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: If I had a 10 year old car with a blown engine, it also may not be worth the cost of fixing.
The County allows each resident to junk a vehicle every year for free, resident only pays towing fee, or in the case of an old EV with 10 or 15 miles of range you can drive it to Shipman Industrial.  They take the cars, combustion powered, EV, whatever so it doesn’t end up rusting in someone’s driveway or on the side of the road.
It's good to know there is an escape route, at least for now.  I won't go into "where does it go from there" and all that that entails.  I'm satisfied to know that the car owner can get out from under it without additional expense.

It's still not comforting enough to make me spend $30,000 on a vehicle that will be disposed of in 10 years or so.

BTW, the blown engine analogy is apples and oranges.  The EV battery is expected to die, it's inevitable.  Engines rarely blow, and when they do it is almost always due to owner neglect or abuse.
If you can attach an EV engine to a windimill.

It will produce a lot of free electricity. (For the same reasons regenerative braking is a thing)

The 147 horsepower leaf electric engine can produce 110,250 watts of electricity as an alternator/generator. 110 kilowatts. (750 watts in 1 horsepower. Times 147 HP.)

The catch is most electric engines have to spin at high RPM to generate peak power. This can require a 1:50 to 1:100 gearbox. Which can be difficult to come by.

And to generate that much power, the windmill would be big. That could be easier with VAWT that spins on a vertical axis.

That is one use for EVs if the battery pack is too expensive to replace.

I would guess people hate windmills though.
"I would guess people hate windmills though."

They will be okay in your apple orchard above the treeline on Mauna Loa.