Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AUTO MECHANIC PROBLEMS (AGAIN)
" Where do you take your car? "

Since Curlee's disappeared we've gone to Mike's a few times. I've posted about it before my reviews are mixed. The last time I needed professional help we used a mobile mechanic named Mat. I'll probably call him if I can't get the Impala figured out if he's still around.
(02-16-2024, 09:48 PM)sistersue Wrote: No.  It's still sitting in the Honda dealer's parking lot while they wait for the parts to come in.  The good news is that our mechanic says he'll buy back the alternator he put in but we're suspicious of him because he doesn't give us the receipt.  He says he'll return it.  I don't know if he'll pay us back for his failed installation charge though.  We need a new car mechanic.  Since our friend and mechanic for 30 years died, we've been lost as far as our cars go.  Where do you take your car? Thanks for all the help.
I seem to recall someone recommending Wally's in HPP.  The good news is that a CRV is one of the better bets for avoiding car problems.
Someone has to send this thread along to Click and Clack, though.

https://www.cartalk.com/radio/our-show

Cheers,
Kirt
@knieft

I love Click and Clack!

In my ill spent youth, my friends and I used to listen to them every Sunday morning while consuming large amounts of what you now need a "medical license" to do so legally and would laugh our butts off!

Speaking of Click and Clack, I am sure they would have to ask sistersue and terracore one very important question about their cars and their issues:

"What color is it?"
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
(02-17-2024, 05:54 AM)HiloJulie Wrote: @knieft

I love Click and Clack!

In my ill spent youth, my friends and I used to listen to them every Sunday morning while consuming large amounts of what you now need a "medical license" to do so legally and would laugh our butts off!

Speaking of Click and Clack, I am sure they would have to ask sistersue and terracore one very important question about their cars and their issues:

"What color is it?"
Missed opportunities here.  Next time, must remember to make some jokes about the cars in question.  

As for how to locate a good mechanic, Sue might consider taking Click's advice:  “How do you know if you’ve got a good mechanic? By the size of his boat.” —
Finally got some error codes: "System too rich Bank 1" and "Cylinder 1 misfire detected".

There's a long list that can make these codes appear together. Any ideas on narrowing it down? I recently changed the air filter, so can take that off the list.

(A quick search shows that only a V8 would have a bank 2. This being a V6, no bank 2).
(02-21-2024, 03:49 AM)terracore Wrote: Finally got some error codes:  "System too rich Bank 1" and "Cylinder 1 misfire detected".

There's a long list that can make these codes appear together.  Any ideas on narrowing it down?  I recently changed the air filter, so can take that off the list.

(A quick search shows that only a V8 would have a bank 2.  This being a V6, no bank 2).

I had the same and solved it with a new oxygen sensor which was really easy to replace and cost about $40.
(02-21-2024, 03:49 AM)terracore Wrote: Finally got some error codes:  "System too rich Bank 1" and "Cylinder 1 misfire detected".

There's a long list that can make these codes appear together.  Any ideas on narrowing it down?  I recently changed the air filter, so can take that off the list.

(A quick search shows that only a V8 would have a bank 2.  This being a V6, no bank 2).

I am pretty sure that regardless of V6 or V8, you have Bank 1 and Bank 2 - Bank 2 being the other side of the engine.

Is this by chance a "Flex Fuel" type vehicle?

A common problem with the Flex Fuel Chevy ECM's was they get whacky over time and think you are trying to run 40, 50 even 75% alcohol.

You might try to reset the entire ECM by disconnecting the battery - negative off first, then positive and let it sit for 30 minutes.

Reconnect, positive first then negative and restart and let idle for 10 mins or so to relearn itself.

If no change, I agree on the oxygen sensor suggestion - or it could be a leaky fuel injector.
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
If I recall correctly (and these days thats a BIG if), I was able to read temperature differentials with my cheapo OBDII reader and eliminate almost all other posibilities.  It's easier than it sounds.  I know because I was able to do it LOL.  Parts replacers have to use every diagnostic trick we are afforded.  Start googeling and you will quickly discover what I mean.  

Also I think the "banks" may refer to upstream and downstream.  I think you are dealing with the upstream (bank 1) O2 sensor which is easy on a chevy to get to - right on top.  Very easy.  The downstream (bank 2?) one is at the catyletic converter and thankfully I did not need to replace that one.  You will need to order a special little socket ($10) or get creative to remove and replace the sensor due to the cable that comes out of it.

Hopefully Hilo Julie is right and a hard reset wins the day.  Good luck with it.

I would still look at all things ignition related for cylinder 1 first.  A bad O2 sensor should present with its own code. 

There should be a factory service manual online for this heap.  (Click and Clack descriptor  Big Grin)   It would lead you through diagnostic tests for these codes.