Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mayor looking at closing beaches.
Back under your bridge now.
Closing the transfer stations for three days a week would be a really stupid thing . . . even for our inept county government.  I can't find any news or official announcements regarding this.  Anyone have a link to a believable source?  Or is some idiot bureaucrat or politician just "mulling" it?

Edited to add:  I just looked on bigislandnow.com , and they confirm this lame plan.  Of course, the county's own website hasn't been updated.  Expect exponential increases in roadside dumping with no improvement in Covid infection rates.  Stupid is as stupid does.
Most "rural" transfer stations are already closed four days a week. It's not a new plan.

https://www.hawaiizerowaste.org/facilities-2/
And of course we can fully expect the affected employees to get paid for doing nothing.
Apparently the "root cause" is a shortage of DEM staff. This shortage being COVID-related, the announcement is framed in terms of "COVID".

Which leaves me wondering: why close all the transfer stations on the same days?
we can fully expect the affected employees to get paid for doing nothing.

I won’t complain about that.
I generally consider many of the unaffected employees already get paid for doing nothing.
Weren't these the same County employees who were first in line for vaccination because they were so "critical"?
What's wrong with leaving the gates unlocked? Or leaving a dumpster outside the gates?
Look for a lot more “roadside decoration” in the future.

Malama aina and all that, right?
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
(09-01-2021, 04:52 AM)AaronM Wrote: What's wrong with leaving the gates unlocked?  Or leaving a dumpster outside the gates?

The transfer stations used to be open 24-hrs back in the day. I don't recall this caused any problems, but some years ago it was decided they should only operate between certain hours. Does anyone remember the rationale behind the change? Perhaps there was a good reason for it although I don't remember it.