Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leather?
For the Langlitz we use Lexol plain and simple! Just once a year we wipe them down and then of course ride with them to air them out so to speak! Kind of soaks in the conditioner and doesn't fill the closet with its odor.

mella l

NO really? Assume the best and or the backward and accept it!
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Carey

""3. oiling with a good quality oil (we used ben oil, mainly because it is an natural light oil that does not go rancid, thicken, or suppot MM growth)""

I'm thinking Kuki oil? Wow that might be really nice!! You have some right there! There is some at the Health Food Store by Borders also I've purchased some.

mella l

NO really? Assume the best and or the backward and accept it!
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
I live in a dome w/ 3 skylights & have had my leather/clothes/books in the upper loft for over 2 years. No mildew, smell or mold. The bookseller at Makuu market told me light was the most important deterrent to mildew. Before that, when I did get mildew on my leather, I cleaned it w/ 1/2 water/alcohol & that got rid of the smell & mildew. I rarely wear my leather, but can't let go of it. [8D]Warning to those not yet here - LET GO - there's no purpose for leather or fur here in Hawaii.*IMHO*
I was told that before I came, but didn't listen. [Sad]
Ventilation also helps with the mildew issue. Lately (the past decade or so) the building codes have encouraged stuff like house wrap and other "sealed environment" sort of things. Works well on the mainland, I guess, when they don't want to lose heat to the outdoors, but that's not a factor here and letting the wind in does wonders for keeping the mildew out. Old style closets had floor grills and louvered doors. This let the cooler dry air under the house come up through the closets, knocking back the mold and mildew and cooling down the house. So, don't let things be in air tight areas and try not to make your house air tight, either.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
well we made a full circle, now that Mella has told you what I told you on the first reply, for your needs Lexol. Unless you have a full closet of good clothes, (silks get mold too not just leather) then you don't heed a dehumidifier.
Personally I have a walkin closet that used to be a bedroom. because my bedroom has just that the 4 poster, and no closet, I tore it out. Not many people take a 3b 2 b and makes it into a 1b 2 b, but I'm not the only one. My friend bought a house down the street, stuck in a/c and dehumifiers, because she's gonna move half her closet from her Kohala Ranch down here, to Puna. Isn't that hilarious? you guys are all talking low energy, and for some people those concerns are not concerns at all. But I suppose if you have 4 homes and a dozen cars, overhead isn't a major concern. LOL I'm enjoying the differences between Punatics, opps sorry wannabe punatics and Kohala Ranch. Different ends of the bell curve for sure. I have no intensions in giving up my leathers, furs or silks. And they're all doin just fine.

and don't use kakui oil it will make your leather rancid, animal oil, mink, duck is ok.
LEXOL $7.95 ACE Hardware your cheapest. Cheapest isn't always best, but then if you don't know you pay.

To those coming, if you know how to keep your stuff maintained, no matter leather, steel, plastic or wood. All materials degrade here faster dur to moisture, salt and sun. Your regulating you "stuff" so as to keep is in good condition, take pre-thought.
Thanks all for the advice. This was great! Maku'u I appreciated your thoughts on dehumidifiers and was not aware of silk molding, etc. Good to know. I think a couple of those heated bars in the closet would be cool.

Also, gonna head to ACE tomorrow to find mentioned cleaner(s). These leathers are too pretty to lose to mold. Mahalo!!!

Carrie

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
makuu, thanks for all your expertise.

What I would like to know is if anyone here re-covers leather furniture?
carrie, you want one of those sticks I'll give you one. Seriously it does little for me and may be all you need. i gotta get one of those i mentioned above anyway so you want it you got it.
yes Kathy I could do that but it would be very expensive. Replacement hides would need to shipped and that amount would be heavy. And unless the "bones" are of a solid type of construction or antiques it's more cost effective to replace them. The labor and materials would be more than new, however, new stuff is mostly junk and only topped in leather, nagahide will cover the backs.
Thanks macu'u.