Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adults Displaying Childlike Behavior On-line.
The latest link is about mapping invasive species not about detecting cannabis and shows what "hyperspectral sensing/imaging" is best used for, which is not detecting small plots of cannabis plants, especially if there are plenty of other plants around. The article is also 10 years after the initial and speculative Orincon Corp. article and still talks about potential rather than any hard facts about cannabis detection.

We've gone from a spectral analyzer to hyperspectral sensing and now mapping invasive species.

So:

http://pubs.drdc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc76/p530172.pdf - please read the conclusions carefully and this is in a place where cannabis plants should be much easier to spot.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA484268&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf - a proposal, not a scientific paper. Again, note the conclusions and the amount of infrastructure required to even make this a viable proposal.

Wao - I'm an astronomer/astrophysicist, my specialty is infrared spectroscopy, especially in the thermal infrared but I'm also pretty knowledgeable in infrared imaging and near-infrared spectroscopy as well as infrared instrumentation and optics. I spent some years involved in optical spectroscopy as well (i.e., visual wavelengths). Among other things I've used infrared spectrograph to detect and characterize molecules several hundred light years away in space and also those in our atmosphere. In other words I know a little bit about spectroscopy and imaging.

Tom
The following link is from 2007 in Canada from a study by the Canadian Police Research Centre.

http://cradpdf.drdc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc76/p530172.pdf

Wahine

Lead by example
Yes, Wao - read the conclusions.
Tom K,

We know what the link I posted is about. The main point I was trying to make with the link is that hyperspectral imaging will detect certain plants, and that sound waves are not used.

The article also states the following:
'The work performed by those at Montana State University provides a foundation for detecting multiple plant species, monitoring seasonal changes, and identifying plant stress.'

To me, multiple plant species could include cannabis. All I have been stating is that it is a possibility.

Just pulled up your first link. It's the same one I posted. According to the conclusions, HYPERspectral appears to be more accurate.
Wahine

Lead by example
Wao - OK, let's agree to disagree, I enjoy your posts too much to have us at each other's throats!

The problem I had with your original post, actually, the one right after, was your absolute certainty about the technology involved and what the helicopters are doing - it was just too science fiction for me. On the other hand, now that I know where you're coming from (the possibility of hyperspectral sensing) I'm a little more sympathetic to your position. I still doubt the helicopters are using anything more than infrared cameras. It's just not worth the expense to use highly experimental techniques that are not proven.

In case you're not aware, although I don't smoke the stuff, I'm competetely against green harvest or whatever it's called and hate having to live with helicopters flying low over my place. I often work nights and don't appreciate being woken up by them and that noise early on a Sunday morning is just excessive. And having a guy hang off a rope taking a closer look is just not on.

I still hate the term "hyperspectral" though. It's nonsense. It means "Big spectrum" which is meaningless.

All the best mate,
Tom
Tom K,

Have you noticed that there are two Wao's on here? (his and hers?)
Wahine

Lead by example

My dual optic sensors, auditory appendages, and olfactory proboscis(along with my Military rotary wing flying experience)tell me that Helicopters are conducting Marijuana eradication operations in my AO.

I don't doubt that new technologies exist, but I seriously doubt they're using it much here. Otherwise, why would they be hovering over my back yard? Infrared maybe, but I see old fashioned spotters on board.
The dangle ball is an herbicide spray nozzle that they can use on state, but not private, property.

[Big Grin]
I have to admit, Wao, I didn't notice, but I do now! If both of you are ever at the summit of Mauna Kea let me know, I'll be happy to show you both some of the technology I work with!

Greg - I think the solution is to cover your entire yard with a large tinfoil hat. That'll fool them, trust me.

Tom
Tom,
So then, you now see the technology exists and is used in law enforcement from the UN on down to many random nations around the world for the locating of Marijuana, etc. This one is the Canadian report recommending use of the Hyper spectral imaging vs. the other method.
What I initially cited as a generic term was a "safe guess" at what I saw on that helicopter. Of what type I had no idea for sure but it was something more than a simple IR instrument and then I recalled that program from the Discovery Channel a while back in ‘06 talking about the “pot buster” instruments. Again, the “sensor” was about 4’-5’ long vertically mounted 12” diameter cylinder with a 2’ diameter cone pointed downward on the bottom of the tube. The helicopter made a slide maneuver sideways (tilting the helicopter) twice as if to peer just under the canopy of a large tree. Perhaps they were taking regular photos at that moment.
Perhaps the cone itself gives a 360 degree panoramic view through a prism… I don’t know for sure and that becomes speculation but it appeared to be optical. It wasn’t ground radar equipment or anything like that and there was no “pattern flown” it arrived 45 minutes after the first helicopter flew a similar path (the one with the sensor that resembled the old “sniffer tube”). It appeared as if there was a locating technique they used between the two helicopters and the differing equipped sensors and instruments.
Anyhow… it’s obviously not something they want to publicize as we now all know by trying to dig it out of the damn internet. High five to the Canadians for being so openSmile

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.
Greg,
The helicopters I saw made no bust but appeared to be simply looking at particular targets and by the shared paths they made within 45 minutes of eachother said they were under GPS guidance and tracking the second following the same path as the first. They made more of a Z pattern over the subdivision. I don't think they were the bust helicopters and acted more reconnaissance in nature. A bust may be comming though... I've no idea but haven't seen one here yet. I saw one out in Ninole a few years back though.

Tom K,
No hard Feelings, agreed, lets move on.
You must know a Tom C up there on the mountain? Software gent...

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.