Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doing my part to stimulate Hawaiian economy!
Woooo whooo! We're coming back to the Big Island this summer! Originally we wanted to stay for a month and rent a house for a work/vacation get away. She is a professor and doesn't have summer class, but needs to finish writing a book, and I telecommute so I can work anywhere with internet and phone. We eventually want to move there so we want to stay for longer periods, have a kitchen to cook, do a little work (she will be retired when we move, I will still be working) and just see what it's like to live vs vacation.

Unfortunately our schedule this summer, and our budget this year, precludes a whole month, but we squeezed in as many as we could - 16 days! Flights have been booked for late July/early August! This time we'll get to some places we weren't able to last time; Waipao valley, Waimea, Luquins (never got to the original location), Volcano park (main park, we saw the lava ocean entry), etc...

We are so excited to get back to the Big Island!
our budget this year, precludes a whole month

Costs will be higher in 6 months, so bring 10% more money if you can.
Sounds like you still have plenty to see and do yet.

Yes they are trying to raise the GET tax somemore.. and fuel prices are on the rise.(which effects all goods and services.)

Otherwise you havent missed much.

Okay Google... Who are these people and why ain't they working?
Just think when you get here you can be HI_Everyday. [Big Grin]

If you want to see Waipio Valley, horseback riding is a great adventure.

http://www.naalapastables.com/waipio.html
Otherwise you havent missed much.

Hey, what about the brand new stoplight at Shower Drive?
4 lanes 24/7 from Keaau Transfer Station to Shower Drive?

Percentage change in the level of glyphosate, an herbicide, in Americans’ urine since 1993 : +1,200. Harper's Index
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves

Ooh.. perhaps I stand corrected.

Okay Google... Who are these people and why ain't they working?
HOTPE - you forgot that the work on H-11 has been completed for the turn-off to UH's agricultural place. The changes here have been unbelievable. The final bit of the Saddle Road into Hilo was also finished. It's a completely different island from a year ago.

HI_Someday, are you planning to stay at the Naniloa again? The timeframe you mention is a time I would like to get Pam over here although I don't know if she'll be well enough; it might be nice to meet up.
TomK - we're going to find a small house to rent. We want a kitchen so we can cook our own food (most of the time). We want to try and experience what it would be like to live there vs vacation - or as much as you can in 16 days. Doesn't mean we can't meet up! Maybe at the Naniloa bar for drinks or something. I do hope Pam feels better and you guys can have a little mini-vacation.
It took us 12 years to realize our dream. We did the same back and forth together, separately, whatever it took to advance us. Once a year became every 6 months which turned into 4-6 weeks work from here time granted by my employer. I am still shocked that our single minded perseverance worked. We have been here permanently for almost a year now. I love it.
Hi_Someday - sensible plan, and probably a bit cheaper! Let's see how things go, and first round on me at the Naniloa if it works out!